Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Gorgeous, nice scenery too.

Smooth video - did you take that with mini-DV then convert over to mpeg? I'd be curious to know what program you used for the conversion, it seems to do a great job.

·
Registered
273 Posts
New Video

I liked the background! I could see the loop unfold. Great job Dana. Klem

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my old Sony Digital 8 then convert to mpeg using ulead videostudio 6.0.

I've spent a lot of time testing various line colors against backgrounds, as well as the angle of the lighting etc. One of the fellows I was in with does a lot of photography and we found a spot and time of day that we thought would work really well. It was tough to tell for sure if we got it right because you can only preview the clip with the small screen or viewfinder on the camera, but when I got home and viewed it on the monitor it turned out great so it compresses well without losing the line against the background.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Great job, thanks for the example. I will be looking at the river spots in my area with respect to treelines and sun position per time of day. IN fact Terraserver provides some examples of the degree of shade coverage a riverbank will see on their aerials. My area's satellite photos were taken in the morning as all the eastbank trees are casting a very long black shadow over the water, thus a west bank film session would be the ticket in the morning and vice-versa in the evening.

Because the line looks smoother when the shutter speed is cranked up (per brooklyn angler) an adjustment of white balance can brighten the scene, so I am reading.

My past experiences tell me that the softer low angle light of morning or evening combined with the appropriate opposite bank shadow as you have done here is the way to go.

Again thanks for posting this. Next I need to know how you did that laser loop ;)

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
peter-s-c said:
It's the little flippy thingie he does at the end of the stroke.
Peter is trying to impress us again with his technical jargon ;)

I tried to use that line on my wife, to explain to her why I needed such expensive gear. So I too could perform the little flippie thingie.

She wants me to get some therapy....

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
My wife IS my most expensive gear. Makes a fistfull of spey rods look like a fistfull of pennies :hihi:

At least she understands that standing knee deep in a river doing the little flippee thingy is better than a shrink with a fistfull of prozac! And it puts me in the proper mood to come home and do the little flippee thingy for her :whoa:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Peter: "little flippy thingie"

Thanks for a lesson. This is first time a see this tech term.

The end acceleration is mostly used in long line casting. It would help to pick up more line. It also would streighten out the back loop and ensure the direction of the back loop. Then the 180 degree forward cast would generate the max. energy for the delivery during a casting cycle.

It is a good practice if you like to cast a long line.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Dana can you expound on the flippie thing. I am not seeing anything except for acceleration to a hard stop and some slight recoil in the tip that looks to have been generated due to the stop.

-sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts