Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Man himself Goran Andersson on the Underhand Cast!

Scroll down the main page to "new stuff" and you'll find it (if it isn't there refresh your browser).

More to follow!

Remember I've just completed a 3 part series on the Underhand cast, available by subscription to the speypages newsletter. Contact me at [email protected] for more details.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Much better quality than what I got that day of Goran. If I stop buying rods and line, I could buy better digital media equipment. Oh that's just crazy talk. Very kewl Dana.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dana, Thanks for posting this

He makes it look easy.

Interesting to me, is he appears to have a fairly substantial grip with his right/upper hand at the beginning and middle of his cast. I have read and heard to barely have a grip with your upper hand on this cast and the two handed back handed cast

Then, he releases the line with both hand and drives the butt of the rod into his abdomen with his left hand.

2 questions:

1. Where is he casting this, upstream, across stream or where?

2. Can this cast be practiced on the grass like the two handed overhead/back handed cast?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
New Stuff

Grandpa - there is also a video of Henrik M doing the underhand with a little different style than Goran. It looks to me like Goran is doing a single.

There is also a nice clip ot Tak doing an impressive single to look at. I wish I could do one with a long belly and get that kind of shoot.

Thanks Dana. It really is helpful to see what happens to the hands. Of course, it is also fun to see the rod tip and, in the case of Tak, the nice flight of the line.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grampa,

Goran's cast is the single spey version, and yes you can practice on grass (you need a grass leader of course)!

Goran certainly holds the rod with his upper hand, but the grip is not a powerful one; rather, it is quite loose with the rod is resting in the hand and the running line gripped by the middle finger--you can clearly see this at the end of the clip when Goran releases the line. The index finger and thumb make a kind of circle around the handle--this allows the rod to pivot in the top hand during the cast when the bottom hand pulls down and in.

Ted,

I'm glad you like the clips! I also got some good footage yesterday of me underhand casting long belly lines and I will try to strobe it so that you can see what happens at each step along the way.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great casting but why haven't you got your Hardy perfect on?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Underhand

Finally got the cast together. Downloaded the video so I could watch it over and over. Then got to see Dana in the flesh and the little tweeks that he does. Thank you Dana for now I can see the backing knot on a regular basics. Casting a long belly and getting the distance are much easier now. Almost forgot my elbow thanks you also, no pain.
Leroy.........................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts