Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
'Rod Dip'

Thank you Dana,

As always, the SpeyPages is THE source for cutting edge two-handed info.

Quick question for you: it seems that neither Goran nor Henrik dip the rod in order to assist in the formation of the D-loop; both casters in both clips appear to be 'switch' casting, so perhaps they dip the rod for a true change of direction cast.

Is 'rod dip' part of the Underhand cast?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Topher,

I have 2 more clips of Goran coming--one a little closer on the hands, the other a longer shot of a cast in which you can see what the rod tip is doing. But the answer to your question is "I don't think so." When I cast with both Goran and Henrik there was no apparent intentional "dip" as part of the cast, and you can see this here. After the rod is raised the bottom hand pushes the butt out and the rod is canted off to the side slightly, then straight back, up and the forward stroke is made. The body also pivots to execute the directional change, in this case @45 degrees.

okay, so now I have only one more clip coming, but it is cool in that Goran is executing what we have come to call the "spiral single" only as an Underhand Cast.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Dana,

Awesome stuff. The video of you Underhand casting a long-belly line really isolates the technique from the tackle normally associated with the cast; nice camera angle, too.

Goran is clearly a Viking god......

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Great stuff Dana.
I have just watched them a few times.Went out this afternoon to give it a whirle.Made some progress but its tough when there's no body to tell you what your doing wrong.
Just a suggestion.Whats the chance of you making a full video for us guys that want to learn the underhand style.I'm sure you could make a few bucks for the site off the profits.I would certainly pay $30.00- $40.00 for one.
Keep up the good work.I know its hard but a lot of guys like myself enjoy what you are doing.
Regards Speyladdie :smokin:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the notes, Neil!

If you want to bankroll me for the video I'd be happy to give it a go! :D

Seriously, the cost of first rate video production, while not prohibitively expensive, is enough to give one pause. There's been some talk of me doing the two-hand sequences for a new casting DVD but nothing is firm on that yet. I did the long belly underhand sequences for Nobuo's new DVD that should be released sometime early in the New Year--I'll put some clips up when it arrives.

I was speaking with Henrik Mortensen a few weeks ago and he tells me that his underhand casting DVD is completed, and that it has an English soundtrack, so I am waiting for a copy of that to arrive. The Syrstad brothers have a good video too but the only version I've seen doesn't have an English voice over. Knowledgeable casters can still get a great deal out of it though, and they do cast in a classic underhand style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WOW, That's the first time I've ever seen anyone cast a two hander. Checked out the other video's on your page, looks really cool!

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Dana.
I will buy a lottery ticket this week end.Fingers crossed.
Will we be able to buy Henrik Mortensens DVD any where.
Could I get in touch with him personnely and order a couple for RIck and myself.
I think Rick sent you the Syrstad brothers one.Thats pretty impressive.They have just made a new one but not in English.I have one coming in the mail.
I got part 1 &2 of the under hand stuff last night.Thanks Great reading.
Regards Speyladdie. :smokin:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE.:D

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neil,

I'll ask Henrik where it is available and let you know.

MCorder,

glad you find the clips useful. lots more to come. I'm in the process of editing the Perry Poke segments, plus I have the raw footage of timing on the forward cast (beginning the forward stroke before the anchor touches down), various spey styles, the snake roll, and line release when shooting. I would have done more but it was cold that day and the batteries didn't like that too much, so I only ended up with 1/2 the time on the water I'd hoped for. I'll be out again before long too long.

BTW, Topher mentioned the great angles on the casts. You can thank my videographer and production accountant Ben Baartman, CA, for the camera work. Ben is new to steelheading and the Spey, but he is an excellent angler and good single hand caster who understands what to look for. I made some suggestions, then after I reviewed the first few takes I just asked him to roll with it as he was coming up with things I hadn't thought of! Who says accountants aren't creative! :chuckle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts