Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I mounted a new reel & line (thanks to a nice deal from our friend MJC at Redshed of course) on a rod, and I noticed a little phenomenon that caught me by surprise. When checking out the ballance point - which turned out to be about an inch or two from the top of the cork - I felt the rod twisting on my finger after if ballanced out. I let it swing freely and it rotated almost a full 180 degrees until the handle end was pointing due North - or maybe I should say toward magnetic North! Tried it again thinking it was just the way I was holding it, and then again from the other side and got the same result. Is this really happening as I think? Could this marvel we call the spey rod that we all love so well help guide the route to and from the river as a compass? ... Now if I could only get it to point out the fish!
-Olyfly

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If your reel has more steel components than usual..., and if the hundreds of rotations of the spool needed to wind on the line and backing built up a charge of... Oh, hell, what do I know? I was a Lit. major.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts