Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from a great spey school with Simon Gawesworth - boy, he really knows his stuff! A great teacher, too.

He was using some new spey line from Rio. Well, it wasn't new but it was the Windcutter with a two tone line. The head is the usual Windcutter yellow, but the running line is green. What a great idea! It was so easy to find out how much line to pull in after shooting the head out, instead of having to guess where the head ends. Not only did this new Windcutter have two colors, but there are two new sinking tips as well, a 15' type 8 and a middle sinking section that replaces the middle floating section to get greater depth.

I don't know if this is available in the Midspey or the Accelerator, but it looked great on the Windcutter.

Thumbs up to Rio for another great development in Spey lines.

John:p

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi John

Thanks for the kind words. It was a good class.

The new WindCutter line will not officially be available until January 1st, likewise the new MidSpey. This also comes, now, with a different color running line as well as the two additional tips you mentioned. A few lines will be available earlier, but you need to either check with me at RIO ([email protected]), or with your local dealer to find out which.

Other than the color change, the running line has a high float formula, which I think will be a blessing to many anglers.

The new Tip 2 - what we call the Sink Tip Compensator - is 15' long and is designed to stop the standard 15' sinking tips from being lifted by a strong current. Our new catalog has a chart in that shows the effective fishing depth of the WindCutter line with the compensator and the 15' tips, and without the compensator. To give you an idea, the type 3 fishes between 1' 6" and 3' without the compensator, and between 3' and 6' with the compensator. The type 6 is 2' 6" to 5' without, and between 4' 6" and 8' with - depending on current speed, of course.

I hope this helps give you a better idea of what is new.

By the way, we have replaced the Accelerator this year with the GrandSpey. This is a line that is truly awesome and a line that I am able to cast at least 30' further with, than the old Accelerator. I love it. The GrandSpey is also two tone color.

All the best and keep practicing.
Simon

·
Registered
203 Posts
GrandSpey

Hi Simon,

Great to hear that the GrandSpey is in production.

I'd love to hear more about the length of the head, taper, etc.

Any idea when we can expect such info on Rio's website??

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Simon, I think you just invented a new way to get $ out of me.

Would you be so kind as to put up a web connect for the info on the tips?

Can these be purchased seperately, or do they just come with a tri-tip system?
fae

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Brian, Fred et al!

The web site is being updated as I write. I have submitted the GrandSpey recommendations to Kitty to put on and I think she will do that this weekend. I have also sent the file to Juro and Dana, to put on if interested.

The Grand Spey is a long belly line with a 15' front taper and then a number of compound step tapers up to a short level section before the rear taper and running line. The head length (and weight) is 90' (1100 grains) on the 8/9, 95' (1300 grains) on the 9/10 and 100' (1500 grains) on the 10/11. The total line length is 120' on the 8/9, 130' on the 9/10 and 140' on the 10/11.
The reason for the multi compound step tapers is to try and keep some weight at the front so that it could load a rod at 50'. I tried to design the line so that it weighs the same as, or just a little more than the equivalent WindCutter at 54', so this line will easily load at short distances. I hope that gives you an idea, Brian

Hey Fred, I was wondering how we could get more dollars out of you - not that you haven't done us proud!! Yes you can buy both the type 8 tip and the new sink tip compensator as individual items. Unfortunately, you cn't buy the body section only to take advantage of the two tone (in case you were going to ask!!) These tips should be available soon.

All the best
Simon

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Simon

I just picked up a Mid Spey. Really like the new color differentiation between the head and the running line. In the past I have used Russ Peaks line dressing on all my Rio lines.

What are your recommendations for the new coating?

Rich

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speybro re your new Grand Spey Line

Your new Grandspey sounds awesome.

Will you have a Grandspey for the Sage 7141 (2002 model)?

Since I just bought a new Accelerator 9/10 for my Sage 10151, will I be able to buy the compensator and new 8 sinking tip to go with my less than 3 month old Acc 9/10?

With Spey lines I'm starting to feel like buying a computer. Buy it and use it for one day, and it is old and out of date before the day is over.

Last but not least, for those of us with the sinking tips from previous Rio lines, could you come out with the basic running line of the Grand Spey to connect to those tips. On that line of thought, I just bought your Versa Tip 10 weight for my new rod by Bob Meiser, and I discovered the tips are the same as in my Acc. 9/10. It would have been great to have bought the running line for the Versa Tip and then used the tips that I have on hand.

Not all of us are loaded, (with money) and need as many lines as Fred does.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Rich, Dave

The best way to dress a RIO line with the SlickShooter Process is to first clean it with a damp cloth in a solution of mild deteregent and warm water. If it is really bad, then run the line through the Scientific Angler's micro abrasive pad.. These are great and really encourage the line to loosen its self lubricating properties. Finally, if you need to dress it, use a very very thin coating of a pure 100% silicone (like our Poo Goo), apply it, then buff it off lightly.

Dave, unfortunately we won't have a GrandSpey for the 7141. The lightest one, the 8/9 will seriously overload that rod, so if you are looking for a loner belly line for that rod, I would suggest the Accelerator. With regard to the Compensator and the Type 8 tip, there will be no problem with this, particularly the type 8 tip, just order the heavier number of the Accelerator. For example, if you have the 9/10, just order the #10 Type 8 tip. For the Compensator, with this line you will need the 140 grain (#9) tip.

You are right about the sinking tips being the same on some of the lines - All #10 tips are the same, whether it is for the WindCutter, MidSpey, GrandSpey or Accelerator. In some cases it is possible to buy just the body of the line and use the tips you already have, though this is usually for a warranty issue.

I hope this helps answer your queries!

All the best
Simon

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speybro

Sorry to hear that you will not be selling a Grand Spey for the Sage 7141. That is my main Spey Rod.

I will upgrade my Accelerator 9/10 with the new tip and the compensator this fall.

Re cleaning lines. About 6 years ago, I learned about a great product which I have used for 6 years to clean lines, including my various Rio lines.

The product is 303 Aerospace Protectant and is sold at RV and Marine supply stores. I have never had any problems using the 303 on my lines and rods.

303 Aerospace Protectant comes in a spray bottle, and my original bottle is still about half full.

I stole one of my wife's laundry baskets for the line cleaning. I take an old 100% cotton t shirt and spray and wet part of the rag. Then, I run the line off the reel, through the rag with the 303 into the laundry basket, (the basket keeps the line from knotting or kinking up).

When the line has gone through the 303 soaked rag, I then use a dry part of the rag to run the line through and back on the reel.

I can do one of your spey lines in a few minutes. Then, I use a Q Tip soaked with 303 on one end on each eye of my rod and the dry end to finish the job on each eye. Then, I use a little 303 with the rag on the graphite parts of the rod and wipe it clean.

This way I never have to scour the line. I, keep a small bottle in the back of my SUV if I'm fishing in really dirty water and need a quick line and eye of the rod cleaning.

Even simple field cleaning with the 303 can easily add 10' to 30' to a cast if you are fishing in dirty water.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Grampa Spey

We have tried and tested the 303 (amongst dozens of other things) for a cleaner/lubricator. It does work very well on the line and certainly adds some zip to it.

However, we have soaked a fly line in this stuff and it slowly de-plasticizes the line. In other words it dries the line out over a course of time so that it will start to crack. Our tests showed that this was quite a slow process and probably won't affect you cleaning your lines in it (if you don't soak the lines overnight!)

All the best
Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts