Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting out with tube flies and have an HMH adapter for my regular vise. I also have 2 mandrels. One is 1/16" and the other is < 3/64" or about .040". My problem is that both mandrels are too big for the plastic tubes and lined aluminum and copper tubes that my kids gave to me.

Does anyone have any ideas for making smaller diameter mandrels that also won't slop or bend down in the adapter?

Thank you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not sure what length tubes you have, or how much of the tube you need to tie on. You could just anchor the rear few mm's of your tube in the HMH V clamp itself.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Buy some piano wire from your local hobby store.Cut it to length.Bend it slightly near one end .Put in vice.Slide tube onto wire,over the bend.If it doesn't hold put more bend into wire.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
SpeyHermit said:
I'm just starting out with tube flies and have an HMH adapter for my regular vise. I also have 2 mandrels. One is 1/16" and the other is < 3/64" or about .040". My problem is that both mandrels are too big for the plastic tubes and lined aluminum and copper tubes that my kids gave to me.

Does anyone have any ideas for making smaller diameter mandrels that also won't slop or bend down in the adapter?

Thank you.

The cool thing about the HMH adapter is this...just slip the aluminum and copper tubes right into the mandrel collar....it is designed to hold the mandrel, but the metal tubes are rigid so just slip them into the collar as you would the mandrel.

If you need a larger mandrel to hold the plastic tubes, either buy their next largest mandrel or do what I have done. Take a sample of your tubing to a good sewing shop. Then match the plastic tubes to slip neatly over a variety of different sewing or darning needles. Get the tube to stop on the eye of the needle when you push the tube up the needle.....bob's your uncle...you have a mandrel that will work great in the HMH.....the eliptical shape of the eye will also act like a knife edge and hold the plastic tube from turning, the same way the taper on the HMH mandrels does.

Cheers
Paul

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks NorseMan

Thanks very much. I raided my daughter's heavy duty sewing stuff and scoffed a couple of needles. Additionally, I straightened a couple of smaller paperclips. Both needles and clips worked well for the plastic tubes. I didn't even think to try the metal tubes in the adapter by themselves. Good idea!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been experimenting and introducing myself with trying out tube fly tying the last couple of months. I have only been using q-tips, but they seem to work okay.

I have used a straightened paperclip lined with masking tape. I cut the tape at an angle before putting it on the paperclip and then made it so the tape thickness tapers so that the farther you put the q-tip tube on the paperclip the tighter it gets. It has worked really well for me. Ive probably tied 4-5 dozen with the one paperclip, and if it wears out, I can always make another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts