Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
Picked up an Echo 7wt. 12.9 last night, Echo ION 10/12 reel, Ridge line running line and 510 grain Rage shooting head.
I am used to single hand set ups so this is all new. As far as the leader to tippet, I'm a little confused about the poly this and braided that..
Can I still use the set up I do with single handers? 10' leader, to tippet, or Should I be using something else? With the single handed rods, whenever I used too heavy a leader or tippet, I had the flop problem. Is there something I should do to prevent that issue, or is that a thing of the past with the DH rods?

looking forward to utilizing the site, Great place
Bill

·
Registered
688 Posts
Greetings
Picked up an Echo 7wt. 12.9 last night, Echo ION 10/12 reel, Ridge line running line and 510 grain Rage shooting head.
I am used to single hand set ups so this is all new. As far as the leader to tippet, I'm a little confused about the poly this and braided that..
Can I still use the set up I do with single handers? 10' leader, to tippet, or Should I be using something else? With the single handed rods, whenever I used too heavy a leader or tippet, I had the flop problem. Is there something I should do to prevent that issue, or is that a thing of the past with the DH rods?

looking forward to utilizing the site, Great place
Bill

yea, you can use 10' POLY/VERSI - spey/salmon sinking leader's to tippet any sink rate you want with ease that head plus, more. No flop problem. Just make sure your leader / tippet off the poly is "enough" for swung fly.tubes fly's etc. Go 15# maxima u.g. to 12# for big stuff and 12# to 10# for lighter,smaller buggers and such.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board.

Your SH setups will work fine for 2H. The line is heavier, so it will carry more mass, for the same rod designation, than a SH.

Unless you are already familiar with spey casting, get some good instruction up front. That will drastically shorten the learning curve and get you fishing and catching sooner with a lot less frustration.

Have fun in the journey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts