Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just bought a 13' 7wt set up hoping to learn the ways of the two hander and steelhead fishing. Im 22 years of age and live in estacada oregon right on the clackamas river. Practicing casting has proven to be very fun and dangerous! I hooked myself in the head last night but im taking a lesson in welches next weekend and i can tell this will become my new life passion. anyways i wanted to introduce myself and hopefully meet some people in this area who enjoy fishing as much as i do. Thanks
-max

·
Registered
748 Posts
Being a fairly new member here myself (but from Redmond) I don't think I will be too far out of line welcoming you to the best forum on spey anywhere.

Take lessons...best way to lever yourself up.

Be single minded until you master a particular technique. Don't mix and match techniques at first.

Be aware of what you're feeling...in the rod and in your hands.

And be patient.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is no need for a hook when you are practicing casting. Take an old fly and cut off the hook so you can practice away without fear of a trip to the hospital!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the friendly replies. Im definately looking forward to getting my lesson and catching a fish or two one day. I guess the hardest part of learning so far is never seeing a spey rod in action other than in videos... it must be more popular around here than it seems with the sandy river spey clave and all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha yeah i didnt think about cutting the hook! That might be a good idea until i can cast well enough to present a real fly to a fish

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you haven't got an old fly a stinger hook fly will do. just take the hook out of the loop. happy casting and when it all seems to fall apart, slow down and think about your basics :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts