Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a fly fisher from Malaysia. I've taken up fly fishing for over 2 years now (with lotsa fun and success) but has never done spey fishing ever. Any of you guys/gals out there kind enuff to spare some tips/advice on how to start (tackle, techniques)? I would most likely fish in saltwater especially in areas where long cast is preferred but not quite enuff room at the back...and of course where there is big fish!

A dream: To fish for steelhead some day...spey casting of course!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Welcome to Spey Pages. The best advice that I can give you is to start reading the archives. It has all been discussed there, some of it over, and over, and over.

Also this link will direct you to more good info: http://www.redshedflyshop.com/SPEYCASTINGSITES.html Mark bachmann's "Steelheadquarters" is an exceptional information center.

There are several sponsors of this site that can help you get a balanced setup "that will work for you" and will ship internationally if that is what you need. HAVE FUN!

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Current gear..

As a start, what rods, reels & lines have you fished with, and what sort of fish have you been used to catching.

Transfer of single-handed fly fishing techniques into double-handed & Spey techniques will be assisted by extending the repertoire of both equipment & casting techniques.

Please let us know more.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts