Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the cabelas combo was a good way to get into spey fishing for steelhead and salmon in the salmon river, and other erie tribs. if not do you have any recommendations for a good starter rod. i will only be using this rod to make sure a like it before spending a ton of money on a high end rod.

thanks

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
We're lucky nowadays that there are many good rods on the market for 'investigative' purchases. Spey rods are particularly design-specific, much more so than single handers. Whatever you decide, you should know there is a difference between brands, sometimes a big difference.

Another thought that pops to mind is rather than support the online-never-even-met 'em megadealers, I prefer to give my business to the hard-working shops and manufacturers who are sponsors of our web community. Luckily they include some of the very best in the business!

Certainly do know a lot more about spey rods too!

Just my .02

·
Registered
194 Posts
GlassFlyFisher,

I'm new to spey too and would like to emphasize Juro's comments above. Unless you are especially gifted, you will have lots and lots of questions as you introduce your body to spey casting. A local dealer will be able to provide you great assistance that will be worth far more than the little you will save by buying from Cabelas. "Entry" model spey rods have become a lot more affordable recently as well.

Buy local and start a new realtionship that may last the rest of your life.

DLoop formerly Dave1

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Cabella's combo will certainoy work; however, unless you have a friend who has been spey casting for a few years who can teach you how to use it, I would shy away from getting it.

Juro and DLoop are correct in stating that buying from a local shop, or one of the sponsers of the forum, is a far better way to go, especially since you are new to spey casting. Remember that spey rods are very situation specific and just because a combo can cast OK, it may not be the best choice for what you are planning to do with it. The local shop with spey rods or the forum sponser who carries them and fishes with them will be able to keep you from getting the wrong equipment. And they will also help you when you have questions about how to use it to best advantage, Cabella's and other mega-dealers will not do that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For the love of god man dont do it. They are leading you down a path to poverty and squaller! Its worse than a crack cocaine addiction on no budget:D All kidding aside the people above are correct in that you will probably have a ton of questions and need some assistance getting started. Talk to some people at your local fly shop. I noticed from your post that you are from the great lakes region. Make sure that the fly shop that you go to understands and has some background in spey rods, lines, understands the casting methods etc...... If at all possible hook up with some local spey casters who can help point you in the right direction and possibly assist in getting you started with proper casting techniques etc. I cant tell you how much this helped me when I first learned about spey casting/fishing! Good Luck and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Contact Members

Contact members in your area, get to a spey clave near you, get some lessons, and you will drastically shorten your learning curve. You can buy it sight unseen, finally find a line that fits, and learn from videos and mistakes, but that is a painful and frustrating way to go.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hey, glassflyfisher,are you truly into glass,??? i love the stuff,having grown up with it,i've got a couple two handers ;if you're interested,super resonable,so lemmeno

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
crack addiction,would'nt that be cheaper????,just get one,come on,,,they won't hurt ya,,hee,,hee,best money i
ve ever spent,,totally rekindled my flyfishing,she's on fire now,,,,come on,,,,,!!!!:devil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts