Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I am new to spey fishing, and there is a ton of infromation about it. I have been an avid fly fisherman in Michigan for years. However learning it and getting the basic information about it was alot easier than getting information on spey fishing. I have pretty much used the same style of fishing for steelhead for years, originaly a chuck and duck to nymph fishing with indicator line, and a switch rod. As with most avid fly fisherman, I tend to want to buy the best equipment right off the get go. This has helped me and hurt me in the same, I was able to have great equipment, however my experience didnt. I would like not to do the same in Spey fishing. I would like to know what most good spey fisherman recomend as far as a good entry level set up. Keep in mind I fish the Great Lakes area, and probably one too many fly rods as it is, the wife may go crazy when I tell here I have to buy another 400$ rod. Thanks for shareing your wisdom

Steve.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Steve,
Welcome to the Spey Pages! You'll find a wealth of information on this site and great people willing to help you along your journey.

If I had it to do all over again the FIRST thing I would do is go take spey casting lessons. Find out who the best instructor is in your area and book time with them learning the basics. Once you have mastered the basics try as many combinations as possible and get a feel for what you like. The spey claves are the best venue for doing this. Go to as many of the claves as you can and talk with guys about what they are fishing and then go try them. Only you will be able to figure out what works for you.

So, start saving your pennies for a rod, line and reel and in the meantime go take some lessons. It will dramatically shorten your learning curve and build a solid foundation for your skills to build upon. In the end you will be thousands of dollars ahead and a much better caster for it.

Chris

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Become a subscriber

to Dana's newsletter and all the information he has. Contact Board members in your area for some help, there are a number. Get to a Clave to test cast some equipment. Probably most important is to get some good instruction up front. That will drastically shorten the learning curve and give you some idea what style you might like best. My guess is that shorter rods and Skagit or Scando heads will work best for you. You already know about the mechanics of catching the fish, so you need most help with the casting and adapting the spey to your conditions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I will be going on a trip with a guide here in Michigan by the name of jon Ray. I plan on picking his brain and using his equipment. Apperently he has several spey combos to use. So this will probably give me a good start. I have been looking into getting a Rob Meiser rod. However before ordering one I want to know exactly what kinds of action I will prefer. Currently in the regular fly rods I like are the light action rods, fast light rods that give the better fights, and more reliance upon myself, and knowledge of fighting the fish. I used to, like most novice fisherman would use the heaviest sticks I could find, 8-10 wts and power the fish in.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo suomi dude

you may want to attend "MOJO's...The Gathering" in April. Contact Jamey McLeod for details or check out the midwest claves threads. Someone there will point you in the right direction.

Gary

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Yeah man, drop me a PM if interested. There should be ample rods around to cast as well as a few people that can give pointers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
.................fishing finland,don't know exactly where you live,but,Schmidt Outfitters in Wellston,and Great Lakes in Rockford can help with instruction and equipment.

·
Banned
974 Posts
fishing finland,

Welcome to spey. I just jumped all over your post in the clave section. :roll:

Meiser rods? Great sticks. FYI - we are going to be having a Steelhead Spey Event on September 10th. Bob Meiser will be there giving a demonstration and will be bringing 13 + of his spey rods with for everyone to try. We would love to have you join us.

David

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
fishing finland,

The advice from those above to get some spey casting lessons either from a good instructor or a good spey caster you may know or be referred to is one of the best things you can do to start out in the world of spey. Likewise, getting to a clave or other gathering of spey casters where you can try out different rods so you can find out which type of action, etc. you prefer is great advice.

Meiser makes truly outstanding rods of several different action types and his build quality is that of a true custom rod right down to being able to provide you with custom cork grips, many different reel seats, different guides, nearly any thread color you want, etc. On top of that, Meiser is a gentlemen of the finest quality who always finds time to answer questions of folks looking into buying one of his rods or blanks. Why not send him an email or phone him (since he is a sponsor his contact info is found under the sponsor area of the site) and start exploring with him what your thoughts are on a suitable rod? He will not steer you wrong. His rods aren't the most expensive; but they are just as good if not better than the most expensive and the cosmetics, fit, and finish are among the best in the world.

If you are looking at getting a cheaper 2-hand rod, ECHO, TFO, CND, St. Croix, Redington, and Snowbee all have excellent ones for between $250.00 and $350.00

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I would also STRONGLY recommend you get Simon/RIO's new spey casting video (DVD). It's excellent!! as his his book.
Fred

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
If you want the BEST instructor, his name is Simon Gawesworth.
I would also STRONGLY recommend you get Simon/RIO's new spey casting video (DVD). It's excellent!! as his his book.
Fred
Well Hell, he most likely won't want Simon. He wasn't made in America.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAha funny about the american joke. But when you work for the automotive trade such as myself, and your jobs are going overseas you'll start to appreciate what I mean.:) I appreciate everyones advice about getting into spey fishing, even though we may not see eye to eye on some minor political issues. One true thing I can say is that everyone has been helpfull in giving me advice on getting into spey fishing. And that my friends is what is wonderful about fishing, you'll learn something everyday, and even if its from a novice, or a seasoned spey fisherman I appreciate everyones input.:) As I have said earlier, I am new to this style of fishing and dont know much about it's technologies. I have read several articles on its history but there is so much info on todays rods and reels its hard to decide where to go. I asked Mr Meiser to send me a field test rod, and I should be receiving one shortly. Atleast I'm on the list some where. I have a Ross canyon that Ive been told should work, as well as a Tibor Freestone, and an Able super 6. I was looking in to getting one of them set up with the RIO multi tip spey line, I belive that is what its called. Any more suggestions are appreciated. Also is indicating a popular spey technique or is Skagit more the preferred style?

·
Banned
974 Posts
fishing finland said:
:confused:

I would like to know what most good spey fisherman recomend as far as a good entry level set up. Keep in mind I fish the Great Lakes area, and probably one too many fly rods as it is, the wife may go crazy when I tell here I have to buy another 400$ rod. Thanks for shareing your wisdom

Steve.
Steve,

You are giving mixed and confused signals. First, you talk about "entry level set up" and problems with $400 rods and the home setting. Next, you talk about Meiser's and expensive reels (which won't work a your spey rod, by the way). The first thing that I would do is take spey casting lessons and sit down and communicate with people who fish with spey rods over the phone, emails, PM's, etc. Next, puchase at least one DVD, I would suggest Introduction to Spey Casting by John and Amy Hazel as your first choice. You will want the Rio DVD and Gawesworth book sooner than later as well.

Spend some time a browse the "newbie" posts on this site and others. Taking up spey is a process, one that you will enjoy. Take the time to know some of the basics first.

David

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Yo, Mr. Finland...

HAha funny about the american joke.
I didn't mean it to be a joke. While you are entitled to your opinions and can spend your coin with whom you choose I think it is rather presumptuous on your part to come to a forum called the "International Spey Clave" and start waving the US flag as you have. In case you haven't noticed, this is not a US only board.
I take by your inference to "over seas" you are talking about the Far East, Asia, whatever. Do you feel the same way about tackle from the UK or Europe?
As to supporting the "local" tackle manufacturers I will say this, for several years the domestic manufacturers for the most part ignored a large segment of spey consumers, ie, people that could not afford the domestic tackle and it wasn't until the "imported" tackle started to get a large share of the market that this changed. Now everyone for the most part is offering lower priced tackle which is a win/win for everyone. The imported tackle is "kick ass" for the most part and fills a solid niche in the spey tackle market.
Maybe you shouldn't take up "spey casting" as it's an imported casting method. Again, not a joke.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is why I ask questions, not statements. However just like anyone who fishes, fly rods. I do like to spend the money on quality. I was on Meiser's site browsing and seen his rods. With out holding one i can't say what kind of rod it is, besides that I never casted one. Thats why I asked him for a field tested rod. I will say this ,his work looks very clean and nice. I have other custom fly rods, mostly in the 10' range and his work looks ten times better than what I thought at the time was good. Besides that his price isnt that bad on the ones he suggested to me. Cheaper than the T&T and Winston I was looking at in the 13'6" range. But like you said i need to learn more thats why I am going with a guide on the 28th of this month to learn more about it. Of which I dont mind paying because I know I'll have 8 hrs or more of instruction, and I could care less if I caught anything that day. At any rate what kind of tips are you using skagit or floating? and why?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Mike,

Now you have me all confused. here I am, a transplanted Irish American from Idaho. I fish English and Swedish reels using Scottish lines on American and Japanese rods. I have been known to fish wityh a bunch of Canadians and some guy from of all places, Rhode Island. I think I need therapy.

'tip

·
Banned
974 Posts
I been thinking about this post and maybe we are being too harsh. If a consumer wants to purchase Made in America, that's fine. Obviously fishing finland has his principles, has done his research and has strong opinions. If he wants to stick with 100% American companies like T&T, RB Meiser, and Abel Reels; more power to him. :smokin:

- David

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Ahh but can one truly buy 100% american anymore? Even Meiz who crafts a wonderful stick has a lot of his blanks made in New Zealand. Some foreign cars like toyotas are built in the US. You just cannot tell anymore. Embrace the global economy. It aint going away.

-sean

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.