Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
While I have been salmon fishing for quite some time, I have just recently purchased a 14ft Sage 9wt spey rod. I am trying to decide on a reel. Over the years I have collected a number of reels, more than I care to admit to my wife, and some are no longer in rotation, but are still in excellent working order. I was thinking I would try and use my Hardy Marquis Salmon #1 as my spey reel. It will hold a WF10 line and 200yds of backing. I am looking at a couple of lines, a Rio multi-tip and an Airflo multi-tip (longer belly version). Do any of you know if this reel would work for these lines, if for example I used 150yds of gelspun? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to have to buy another reel, but if I must, one more won't be noticed. (I hope)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
I think you will find the Salmon #1 to be to small. I may work with a WC head length line and the gelspun. A WC 6/7 was a very tight squeeze on my #1 with a workable amount of 20# backing.
The Salmo #2 is the right size to balance a 14' Sage with a mid-length line and plenty of 30# SA backing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It worked

I was able to get an Airflo Delta Spey and 150yds of 20# gelspun, comfortably on my Marquis Salmon #1. Now to get out there and start using this rod. Thankfully I have Spey casting lesson scheduled in a few weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the caution. The tackle shop warned me to be careful, play fish off the reel, but dont touch the backing on a run. This is just a temporary set up, until I find the right reel for this rod and my budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.