Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Kinda doing a help and possibly a buy if everything turns out right. I have been trolling and trolling, reading and reading. I have always loved reading all about various topics on this forum but like several others im sure i really dont have much to add because of exp or just being a little shy. and i apologize for that but as my buddy is pushing me to get some gear, now it is time to act.

Im basically getting into the whole idea of a 2 hander for the first time. Although i have done it with a buddy for a few years never had my own gear. Now my question to you all is because i am torn on this. I love the feel and action of the Sage's z axis BUT and its a big but :::price tag::: is a little high. I mean are they really worth it versus getting a custom stick built? I have personally have several blue water rods custom built and have payed plenty for a lot of different gear but it just seems so high for a factory rod.

So in conclusion if they are worth it anyone got a 7wt 11ft switch for sale and if they are not worth it any recommendations?

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Whether or not they are worth it is truly personal preference. I have had some expensive rods that I like- and also some very inexpensive ones that I like such as a Rainshadow switch and the ARE short spey rods- If you dont want to fork out the $ for the z axis you could look at the Echo and TFO Deer Creek switches- they seem to be real popular. If I was personally going to pay big bucks for a switch it would most likely be a Sage TCX-

The main problem is there are too many good choices - If you do a search such as "Echo Switch" etc you might find many good ideas on this forum. Good luck!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
If they weren't a good nobody would be buying them and that model is a pretty hot seller.

Is it a better deal then a custom rolled is a subjective question with a lot of answers, depending on who is asking and who is answering.

If you don't want to spend a lot of coin buy a Deer Creek or Echo. Half the price, great action, and NO BS lifetime warranties.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Try em out

Go to the Flyfishing Show in Somerset, NJ this coming weekend and check em out, they even have casting ponds and large lawns outside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Ya ill be at the show this weekend never miss is for the world. But ya i have casted several companies from echo to the Z im kinda torn btw a Beulah or the Z. Money isnt that big of a deal breaker for me i appreciate a fine rod much like the rest of us. But was trying to see if buying a blank and getting it custom would be the way to go. I really like the feel of that rod accompanied with the lifetime warranty i dont see how you can go wrong but the initial 725 is a hard pill to swallow.

·
Lucky Bastard
695 Posts
Rods

I cast most all of the switch rods and short speys at last years Spey Nation at Pineville and for the money found that the TFO was hard to beat.Very light in hand,and for me has a great action.I bought the 11 7W this past fall and love it.IMO it looks better than most all the high end rods.The only draw back that I have seen,and anybody that has one,is the cork.It is pity with a lot of fill.I would gladly shell out another 50 bucks for this rod with a premium cork.None the less,its a great rod and has served me well this winter.Again,1000 people,2000 opinions.Get to a good shop or clave and get your hands on as many as you can.I see your from the Tri state area.You would be best served to get to Spey Nation at the end of June.You will not be sorry.

Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would travel anywhere especially in the warmer months to hold and play with new gear what is this spey nation you speak of lol. Sorry for the ignorance been a small trout guy for a while and this is all new to me.

·
Lucky Bastard
695 Posts
Spey Nation Clave

A long rod heaven.http://www.speynation.com.All you need to know and more.This is a cant miss event if your into the 2 handers.The rods,the people,the demos from some of the best in the world. This is where I got my feet wet almost 4 years ago.I was fishing the Salmon with the wife and son and stopped in just for something to do.Won 2 rods in the drawings and have not turned back.The raffles are top notch.Gets better every year. Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow

That is simpley awesome Hooked it looks like a down to earth bbq with all the top ppl attending and its OUTSIDE. For me 5hrs is a haul but damn i will be there.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
You will not regret it

That is simpley awesome Hooked it looks like a down to earth bbq with all the top ppl attending and its OUTSIDE. For me 5hrs is a haul but damn i will be there.
Having BTDT, I truely feel for those trying to get into Spey being confined to still water. And those long, narrow indoor "casting ponds" are the absolute pitts! Besides the fact that these "Spey Claves" are dominated by knowlegable two hand types, vs. someone at a booth trying to sell you whatever he carries, the moving water experience makes all the difference.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an 11' 7wt Z-Axis that I will be looking to get rid of in a couple of weeks with an unsigned warranty card for $400 Cdn. If you're interested PM me. I would get rid of it now but I am awaiting a custom rod order and need it in case I head out in the mean time. It has only seen the water about 15 times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having BTDT, I truely feel for those trying to get into Spey being confined to still water. And those long, narrow indoor "casting ponds" are the absolute pitts! Besides the fact that these "Spey Claves" are dominated by knowlegable two hand types, vs. someone at a booth trying to sell you whatever he carries, the moving water experience makes all the difference.
JD,

I have some bigger open bodies of water but what really is unique to me is that i got to knife, gun, and all other outdoor shows and from what i have seen and read this is very unique in the fact of how its set up riverside for all to see handle and hopefully test out some gear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
"So in conclusion if they are worth it anyone got a 7wt 11ft switch for sale and if they are not worth it any recommendations?"

I have that exact Z Axis rod and I aint selling it ever! They are a very good rod, I saved some money by buying second hand, you do not get the waranty, but thankfully so far I have not needed it! If you are worried about the cost then go for a less expensive rod, Echo, TFO etc do some lovely switch rods. Or just keep an eye open for the Z Axis second hand on this board and on ebay.
All the best.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would take a good long look at the new Red Truck Diesel and Premium switch rods from Red Truck Rod Company. I never really used to believe in switch rods until recently when I've started using my Premium switch to swing on smaller coastal rivers. They've been getting great reviews, even from hard core Sage guys. The price is hard to beat at 350 and 450.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts