Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a TFO 11-ft, 5wt "switch" rod (my first spey) and love it. I'm hooked, as they say, on spey casting.

I'm, of course, still very, very new to the sport and already looking forward to getting another spey rod.

I fish tailwaters (trout) in Missouri and hopfully Arkansas in the near future.

I would like to get into the bigger 14 or 15-foot class of spey rod.
What line weight do you all recommend for trout with the longer rods, or should I just stay with the switch rod for this kind of water and trout.

I'm mainly looking to extend my casting and drifting range on the wider portions of the river. Just exploring my possible options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
You might be surprised with what you can do with a 13'-14' rod. Most of the 14-15' rods (not all) are 9 & 10wts, which is a lot of rod. I'm from MO (left almost 15yrs ago) and cut my teeth on the current, mill spring, the parks, etc... I can't lay claim to anything over 4lbs from my tenure there, but I realize that there are some very large fish. That said, I still think a 9 or 10 is a lot of rod, especially from the standpoint that lighter tackle can be more fun to fish. As I recall, the record brown of 40+ lbs was landed on 6lb mono... poor fish. I would look at 6wts in the 13-14' range, maybe 7wts, size of fly being the main consideration.

I'm curious if you've ever gone for stripers or wipers under Bagnell Dam (osage river). It would be interesting to head there when they aren't doing releases and overhead two-hand with fast sink shooting heads. I went with my 9wt single hander a couple times, but to no avail. I watched a spin fisherman land 4-8lb wipers roughly every 10-12th cast one night. Chartruse & white bunny leeches would be the closest to what he was chucking. Seems there is a long conrete ledge that runs straight out from the parking area and drops off about 10' towards the dam. The stripers corral the shad up against it. I don't know what other rivers might have striper runs, but they catch 30+lb fish every year. I had a lot of fun fishing in MO. Good luck.

Trevor

·
Registered
2 Posts
well it is great to hear that you have made the leap into the world of two handed casting.
i have guided trout with two handed rods and there are alot of opptions for you to chose from. g.loomis use to make a 13'4" 5/6 metolious that rod has more spey aplications than you couold shake a stick at. they changed the formula a bit and there new rod is a 12' 9" 5/6 but i think it is in the kispiox line of rods.
t&t make a 12' for a 6 and that was the one that most of my sports preferd to cast.
sages new 5126 z-axis is a really fun rod to cast and i have fished it for smaller steelhead and would serve as a great rod for swinging large streamers for browns.
gary anderson is more of a botique rod builder but has 5119 and a 6133 both have potential to be good trout rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts