Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started building on a Diamondback 13' 8/9 blank. The build is going fine. I'd like to hear experiences with this rod if anyone has any.

My question involves lines and reels. Right now I am in Northern Vermont and want to use a local fly shop. This limits my options. I am looking at the Ross CLA, the TFO Terry Hayden, and the Orvis Battenkill big game, or Mach series. Now the Ross says it can hold a spey line of my size(8/9) in the CLA5 however it seems like I should be looking at the CLA6 or 7. Should I not worry about the size so much and just make sure the reel balances the rod, in other words, maybe the line and backing fit on the 5 but it takes the 7 to balance the rod so I buy the 7? I looked through the board but didnt find much related to these reels so I figured I would ask.

The lines I am looking at are the rios. Grand, Mid, or Windcutter for someone new to spey? Fishing will mostly be done on the Connecticut with streamers on a swing if that makes a difference in your suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
A Grandspey

is not the way to begin with a 13' rod. With that length rod the midspey is effectively a "long belly" line at 65' - 5x the rod length. This is the same ratio as a 75' belly on a 15' rod. What type of backcast room do you have? If it is tight you may want to go with a WC, AirFlo delta, or a Skagit system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted, I do want something that shoots easily, which seems to be the shorter head lines. correct me if I am wrong. With the Windcutter touting easier casting for beginners I will probably go with a Windcutter 8/9.
There typically is plenty of backcast room. Just looking for a setup to learn as much as I can on.

Book and Video recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Hare.
What DB blank are you building on? Is the new SS(salmon/steelhead) line or the older "diamond braid' blanks. More to the point, do they have spigot ferrules or are they the regular sleeve style as in a regular fly rod? I had a ton of problems with the spigot ferrules,, mainly the male on the mid section broke in the same place on three different rods. Diamondback finally up graded me to the new series of rods and regular old sleeve ferrules and i have had no problems since. I have the 12678 3pc and it is an incredible rod!! DB's customer service is at 100% in my books!!!
There is a thread going on now as to dvd's so look around. Lots of good ones out there. As a subscriber to the speypages you get access to a ton of casting clips as well as the pages DVD LE which is a good start in my opinion.
If i had to pick one to start it would be gawesworths Rio International. Simon could teach fish to swim i am sure.
Books. They don't do much for me as a casting tool. You may be different but i need the visual,,, either watching a dvd or watching an instructor, or a buddy.
I think it's cool your supporting a local shop,, many of us do. But,, i don't think i'd recommend you limit yourself just because of their limited stock. Find a reel,, with some help here to fit your needs and budget and have the shop order it in for you. Or,,, buy one here or ebay or whatever,, I for one wouldn't hold it against you;)
Oh yeah,, start with the WC
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
360 Posts
For videos Dwayne (Salmon Chaser) is right, Simon G. is a great teacher and this video will not put you to sleep.

As for lines I would also agree with Dwayne, the WC is a good choice, and is easy to cast. As Ted mentioned the mid. is essentially a long belly on 13ft. of rod. Depending on the amount of back cast/D loop room you have in your area; if theirs not much room then the WC is best. If back cast room is not a problem, a mid. would cast just fine and in my opinion allows more room to grow as a spey caster.

The CLA 6 should be best on that rod, my 7 balances out my 14ft 9wt. well, but looks a bit bulky; I could balance it out with the 6 and a couple yards of lead core and still have ample room left for backing and a WC or a Mid. The CLA 6 with 200-250 yards of 30lb. Dacron and plenty of space for a WC or the mid. sounds good.

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
Been fishing a CLA6 hard since last Fall, nothing but great things to say. A no frills reel with great performance and price. :)

As far as vids, like mentioned, the RIo is great and where I started. Dec Hogan's is nice to watch for somthing to aspire to for sure!

For the fish side of it, Hazel's vid on spey fishing for steelhead is great to watch also and very informative. Spey to Z has gotten alto of positve feedback, but yet to watch it, still waiting to get it on order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all
Saw the DVD thread right after I posted this morning but appreciate the input here as well.

The blank I am building on is one of the new tip over butt ferrule designs. Its a disgusting teal color with the diamondbraid in there. Not a spigot ferrule design so no worries there I guess. My building skills are always questionable however.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I built a spey rod on the Diamondback diamond braided 3-piece 13 1/2 foot 8/9 blank. (Couldn't be much different from yours ...could it?) It was an ok medium-fast action rod, although I would have preferred a more progressive action, i.e., bending into the lower half. I also built one on the 12678 blank mentioned in a thread above; it has the same action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts