Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Pennsylvania and I am intrested in Spey casting. I am having trouble finding anyone in the south east of Pa who knows how to instruct or even heard about Spey casting. I regualrly fish in Pulaski NY for steelhead and Salmon where the "chuck and duck" method prevails. I have outgrown this method and no longer find it fun. What changed my mind to Spey rodding was watching 1 patricular fellow using a rod a few years ago and outfish everone in his area using that was "chuck and duck" method. I also have access to the Delaware river for the spring run of Shad (don't laugh until you have tried to catch one on a fly rod). Anyway I spent the money on a 14ft St Croix 9/10 rod and a 9-10 DT cortland line. What I am searching for is Instruction in the nearby area or good books/videos on the subject so that I can stop trying to hang myself with new outfit.
The shop where I purchased the equipment from was extremely helpful in getting me started but I desparatly need some help so that I can trouble shoot my errors. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Flyfisher151.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Several threads on this subject.

One thread was called "videos and casts." Several more on this nature on past threads. (use the boards 'search feature' and put in video spey casts, or some combo of this). Sorry, I couldn't get the url to cut and paste for you.

Several very good video's on the 'how to' of spey casting available now. An old one of these and Hugh F's book were by initial "training wheels" back in the late 70's-early 80's.
fae

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look around for shops that may have spey casting videos by Vincent/Gawesworth Rio, Derek Brown or Mike Maxwell. Their are others, but these have served well for at least a decade to get newcomers started.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts