Spey Pages banner

New Sweetgrass bamboo Switch 7wt

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  aviomech 
#1 ·
Just bought a Sweetgrass Mantra 10'3" 7wt Hex switch. Pretty excited to get it and try it out. I asked the builder at Sweetgrass about line size/wt. He was recommending an WF 7wt line, and said around 350 grains.

Anyone have any experience with a bamboo switch rod? I was wondering if my Hydros 7wt switch line would work (380gr). Most 7 wt WF lines I think are closer to 280-300gr, and seems pretty light. But a bamboo rod will load a bit easier than a composite rod. Just looking for a starting point. All input welcome.

Thanks

Avio

#2 ·
i have one of their singles and love that rod...

very good people to deal with and i have been drooling over a switch as well .. one day maybe!!!

They are very good about line choices as a starting point...i went one line size up for my own personal tastes on my single and its money in my hands...

enjoy, look forward to hearing what you end up with and how it fishes..

#4 ·
That would explain the recommendation for a WF line instead of a shooting head grain weight. The gentleman I talked to kinda guessed around 350 gr, but said 7wt WF or DT would work.

I have a WF8F VersiTip line I use on my Sage Approach 8Wt. Would this work? It is only a 280 gr head. I was thinking the Hydros 7wt switch I have, but it is 380 gr. I guess I can try both. I just don't want to over line my new rod.

I guess it is more of a 7wt singlehand, not swtich. So I probably should be thinking lighter...

Thanks for the responses! I'm super-stoked to get this rod! My favorite singlehand is my old South Bend 6wt bamboo. Lead me to thinking about a 2-hander in bamboo. Saw this on the Sweetgrass website, and snatched it up.

#7 ·
Aviomech.

Congratulations on your new stick!
I might suggest trying a few scandi heads on your rod, 300grains +\- 20grains and get a feel for what the rod likes with your casting stroke. I would bet on a 280/290 scandi feeling very good.

Cheers and tight lines.
James

#9 ·
Well, I finally got back home and tried this rod out. I don't know if its me, but 300-350gr is too light. I tried a Rio WF8F, Rage 330gr, Orvis Hydros 7wt, and Rio 400gr skagit. I was using a 10ft polyleader with all the lines. The 400gr cast the best, but still feels light. I have a feeling this rod was setup as a true 7wt switch, and probably use a head in the 450gr range. I think my SA Extreme 440gr will be the line to use. I'll find out next week when I take it out again.

#10 ·
Well I found a couple good lines. The SA 440gr skagit worked great. Also tried a 410gr Scandi, it worked nice with a 10' polyleader. I'm thinking the 420gr Rage will be the sweet spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.