Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AJS Reels
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6113-5 short double hander, Ross builds and rolls his own blanks in house, is a pleasure to go through the design process with and his finish is top class.
First outing was very successful on the Tongariro River with some early winter chrome rainbows pulling plenty of string, but a sizeable Brown was the icing on the cake.
Lines used so far have been opst 325gr with 10' t11 in the high flows but hoping for some lower water to cast a Rio scandi short in 350gr.
Writing implement Circuit component Line Office supplies Wood
Line Electric blue Pattern Wool Woolen

Musical instrument Wood Electric blue Rectangle Pattern

Fin Salmon-like fish Fish Underwater Fluid
Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Outdoor recreation Sports equipment

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am interested in these rods but don't hear much about them. How does it compare to Meiser, Sage, Loomis etc in flex profile and recovery. Being UK based I assume they are scandi orientated.

Looks to be a great build quality.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I bought a rod from Ross and got hooked, now I have several. What a pleasure dealing with him, and creating a rod just as you wish it--simple, stealthy or blingy--whatever you choose. I'd say the action is somewhat like a Gaelforce, with a strong tip. Not stiff at all like many US and Scandinavian rods. It's a full working rod with great feel--at least to me, and I think it adapts well to lines of your choice. He rolls his own blanks, and they are unsanded and black, so no choice there. But the cork work and wrappings are limited only by your imagination.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting, I just saw my first one of these last week, owned by a UK based angler. Beautiful rod.
This and my Meiser definitely stood out among all the Sages leaning against the communal rack.
I didn’t get a chance to cast it, but its owner couldn‘t say enough good things about it.
Jed

·
AJS Reels
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a rod from Ross and got hooked, now I have several. What a pleasure dealing with him, and creating a rod just as you wish it--simple, stealthy or blingy--whatever you choose. I'd say the action is somewhat like a Gaelforce, with a strong tip. Not stiff at all like many US and Scandinavian rods. It's a full working rod with great feel--at least to me, and I think it adapts well to lines of your choice. He rolls his own blanks, and they are unsanded and black, so no choice there. But the cork work and wrappings are limited only by your imagination.
What you say, not stiff, good recovery, action in the top 2/3, nice and smooth. I'm underlining her so far, I can go to opst 375gr or 440gr normal length skagit but I see no need as it's tight in close stuff on the Tonga' and the 325gr is shifting T11 and T8 well.
I am not much of a scandi touch and go caster, an area I want to improve on, as spring is only a few months away I will put in more time fishing that method with the scandi short, the rod has the potential it's up to me to utilize it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts