Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past the sponsors were involved members.... offering meaningful contributions/advise/info.

I can't remember any of them creating threads with the sole purpose of trying to push their products on the members.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The climate is definitely changing but I don't think the new practices are against the rules . I suspect the previous practice was more of an observation of the attitude of the board.
Let's face it , there are a great deal of things different here . It's personal opinion whether they're positive or not.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,721 Posts
Times Change

And so do we as humans... Allows us to talk about the good old days..

If not interested just don't read.. It really does not bother me as long as there is a thread specific to Sponsors... Hint Hint Hint

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
Hi guys,

It's possible that I'm one of the members who used to post a lot of things I hoped would be useful here on the site but has became inactive. There were a couple incidences where I deleted the threads or posts because of some less than friendly replies.

I have articles regarding fishing technique that I could post but am hesitant to do so. My reasons for not posting are perhaps a bit narrow minded but I'll tell you why I hold back with many posts. I try to write things that will be useful to those who are not expert fly fishermen. I do not consider myself an expert but have accumulated experiences that may be helpful to those with less time on the water. What stops me from posting is the possibility that others will have a different slant on how to do the same thing and use the thread to say so.

I'm not saying that I'm disinterested in the opinions of others or am closed minded to such input. However, I believe that if a member has a better way or finds they disagree with someone else's post they perhaps should consider starting another thread to illuminate their thoughts.

I will post a few things in the Technique threads soon to see if they would be helpful and I'm not selling anything :)

Ard

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi guys,

It's possible that I'm one of the members who used to post a lot of things I hoped would be useful here on the site but has became inactive. There were a couple incidences where I deleted the threads or posts because of some less than friendly replies.

I have articles regarding fishing technique that I could post but am hesitant to do so. My reasons for not posting are perhaps a bit narrow minded but I'll tell you why I hold back with many posts. I try to write things that will be useful to those who are not expert fly fishermen. I do not consider myself an expert but have accumulated experiences that may be helpful to those with less time on the water. What stops me from posting is the possibility that others will have a different slant on how to do the same thing and use the thread to say so.

I'm not saying that I'm disinterested in the opinions of others or am closed minded to such input. However, I believe that if a member has a better way or finds they disagree with someone else's post they perhaps should consider starting another thread to illuminate their thoughts.

I will post a few things in the Technique threads soon to see if they would be helpful and I'm not selling anything :)

Ard
Ard,
I hadn't noticed any of the "less than friendly" comments you'd received, probably missed those threads. I would hope that you wouldn't let some negative comments discourage sharing your (obvious) wealth of knowledge. One of the better aspects of the world of internet forums, imo, is the sharing of such depth of knowledge, skill, and experience. Of course with that comes plenty of opinions too, and we all know about opinions...:roll:

JB

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Hey Ard -

Good to see your name again. Looking forward to more 'tales on the water'. They're always chucked full of good ideas, good solutions to problems, and dusted with just a hint of humor!

I understand your frustration, amigo, but I wouldn't let the little-minded people dissuade you from educating the great unwashed! You know what - just scrape 'em off and keep on with your own game plan! Don't let 'em drag you down!

Opinions are like armpits - everyone has a few. But, it's the way we express those opinions that, in many cases, creates the rub. Like you stated so well, if someone wants to start another thread to voice his/her opinion, knock yerself out! But don't belittle or berate someone on their own thread. Find a civil way of offering a different slant, or simply saying "here's another option you might try......" blah blah

How's the cabin coming? Nancy get some new boots? How's her casting coming along? And most of all, how's Boss?

Keep laughing Ard!

Your pal,

Bob

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Ard your post are always a welcome sign my friend!

Just read what you want or at the very least tell the sponsors what they should be selling to us.

KC

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
And so do we as humans... Allows us to talk about the good old days..

If not interested just don't read.. It really does not bother me as long as there is a thread specific to Sponsors... Hint Hint Hint
Very good point. Have seen on several other forums a specific Classifieds for "Sponsors / Vendors" and one for "Members Only". The two do not mix with one another and makes for a good balance. Mods...please consider this as the classifieds are a significant portion of the traffic to the forum.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Think short shooting heads remove the interest in speycasting. All the new two hand casting guys are using skagit and scandi heads and want the shortest of rods they can justify. It's become too easy and too specific.

This forum is nothing like what it used to be for obvious reasons. It's not really about speycasting, it's about short shooting heads and running line management. It's not really about fishing anymore, it's about how many grains for this or that, which tip is best, which running line will shoot the furthest and will be easy to control...it's more about shooting line than fishing or spey casting. I'm disappointed in the direction this forum has gone. I don't learn much here anymore because the knowledge is mostly gone.

·
Lucky Bastard
740 Posts
Hey Ard,

Keep them coming. Im not here as often but I love you post. Always look for them.That being said,this sight has taken a slow turn since the big change. None the less, the tying threads are still world class. Love to lurk and read the comments.

Scott:smokin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting comments . Just to add my two bits, I have been trying for 3 weeks to get the responsible people to call me to discuss placing ad's and or becoming a sponsor.
My conclusion is they don't want/need new business as they haven't made any attempt to call or email. In my opinion that is very poor customer service.
We will take our business elsewhere.
Thanks for letting me rank

Jim

·
Registered
860 Posts
Salud Ard!!

Ard,
Subsequent to your post, there were several positive posts, and then one which wasn't so positive. Please take the good, and dismiss the rest. I have always appreciated your input, even on the odd case where I wasn't in total agreement.
To Ard and Klickrolf, if you're unsatisfied with the direction, please post things which are in your direction and see where it goes. Some threads of perhaps little pertinence gain huge momentum, so let us all maintain some "spey diversity!"

·
Registered
860 Posts
As followup:

RiverAddict was a long-time poster and was and is highly regarded by many. The impression I got, was that the nay-sayers and chest-pounders drove him off. I was sorry for his absence, but now he's back---at least a little.

Ard,
please don't let the negative which comes up here get you down and withdrawn from this group.

For the record, I like all kinds of lines and casting, but have not jumped on the switch rod bandwagon yet. It is just too much fun with my full length rods.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Interesting comments . Just to add my two bits, I have been trying for 3 weeks to get the responsible people to call me to discuss placing ad's and or becoming a sponsor.
My conclusion is they don't want/need new business as they haven't made any attempt to call or email. In my opinion that is very poor customer service.
We will take our business elsewhere.
Thanks for letting me rank

Jim
Take you business jim over to poppys place , much more at home , and no stinking pop ups ,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts