Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice for buying a new rod for medium-large rivers. I need something to replace my 9140sage. There are so many options out there that it's getting confusing. I'm looking for something to compliment my 7136slt Sage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Options

I am not sure what type of lines you like to use. SKagit lines, short bellies, mid lengths, long bellies etc. Are you going to be primarily spey casting or overhead casting? Will you be fishing with a lot of sink tips, mostly floaters? Do you prefer a slow action rod like the 9140, or a medium action or a fast action? These are some of the questions that you have to ask yourself in order to get a better idea of what type of rod you need.:D

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Cast as many as possible! Most shops have some demo tackle, call your friends with 2 hand rods, go to shows, like the one just held in Vancouver. Try everything you can get your hands on. Then choose, don't let the price be the deciding factor. Oh yeah, enjoy the process.
N I

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Contact Dana & Kush

Dana is a loop rep and guru of the Board. Kush is a CND rep. Both are great guys and will stear you in the right direction. They also have a lot of equipment to test cast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
New rod choice

Like you said, it is a bit confusing. I've been a Sage rod person myself for a number of years, but I've only been doing the two-handed rods for about four and a half years. I started with a brownie 9140-4. Since then I've bought a number of the Sage rods. I like them all. The 9141-4 has a lot more backbone than the 9140. I use it on medium sized rivers with sink tips most of the time with tips up to 300 gr. Rio Big Boys. It's a nice smooth casting rod. The T & T rods are also very nice. They are a bit faster, but very nice casting. I much prefer the T & T with long bellied floating lines as opposed to the Sage, but prefer the Sage with short bellied sink tips.
I've tried a CND's and found it a little slow to what I'm used to. Still, they're very nice casting. The best advise is still to try as many different rods as you can and then buy. Good Luck.
Jimsand

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to get an 11-12 foot 5/6 weight for now. I have until the fall to decide which big rod to get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts