Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to play around with the 5120 (#5 12')Traditional that Sage is going to produce for this upcoming year.

It is obviously traditional and is very very soft...will be curious to see if it too soft for Grande Rhone and lower NF Stilly fish...if not, this could be quite the cool little tool for certain rivers (it is clearly designed as large trout stream rod).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ver-r-r-r-y interesting...

And it gets me to wondering: What would be the lightest practical line size for a spey rod? If they could design a workable 2-weight, would anyone use it?
I'd say the lightest practical line size would be a 7. I'm assuming typical summer steelhead or salmon flies, including dries. And a fuzzy No. 8 can be more air-resistant than a low-water wet several sizes larger. Even if intended just for trout, a weighted stonefly nymph is heavier than the above-mentioned flies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
5wt. Spey rods

Hi Mac,
These new 5wt. Spey rods are definitely going to be specialty items, but what constitutes a practical line weight. I fish 3wt. trout rods, but wouldn't recommend them as an all purpose rod. They are meant to fill a niche, that might generate some sales. The T&T I tried would handily place a hopper @ 60', & I think it would handle a sinktip as well. I don't think it would throw brass tube flies very well, but I assuming it wasn't designed w/ that in mind. Like you said, probably not suitable for fishing large streamers all day, but I guessing they would fish the streamers & tips that I generally fish w/ a 5 or 6wt. single a lot easier & more fun.:hehe:
Good drifts,
Gene

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
the true test will be with a 5wt line we will see if it is truly a 5wt rod.. could be interesting. might be good for throwing buggers in Montana...

·
Registered
31 Posts
true 5wt

Hi Allen,
The doublehanded T&T 5wt I tried was loaded w/a RIO Windcutter 5/6 Speyline. Simon Gawesworth had mentioned the RIO was thinking of discontinueing that line, but reconsidered w/ the new 5wts. coming out.
Good drifts,
Gene

·
Registered
459 Posts
Agree, that sounds like a nice rod for some of our Michigan rivers.

Think it could be a great lakes steelhead rod also.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I could not turn them this spring with my 7/8 weight on the PM using 4lb leaders before they took me to the wood. Went 0 for 12, but some great fights and memories.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
I like it I like It I like it

I have played with the odd lite spey rod down to 4 wt.
Have a couple around dedicated for the Yellowstone, Flathead ,Stilly and Throne.
I use these rods for trout.
Have I caught Steelhead on them?
Yes!
Do I recommend it
I do not.
I think Dick Swan and Paul Brown both worked on lite Speys also.
I for one am glad that some one is going to make these wonderful rods avaiable to the general public.:devil: :smokin:
Now when do I get my hands on these jewels??????
There is Searun Cuts to catch and Lakerun Browns.:smokin:

Speybum:devil:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Lite Speys

I forgot to ask.
What lenght is the T&T.????
Dose any one have market date one the Sage or T&T????

:cool:
Speybum

·
Registered
31 Posts
T&T 10' 5wt.

The T&T 5wt.is a 10' rod. Simon mentioned mid Sep., but I'm not sure if T&T has ever caught up w/ production since they moved. Nobody out here seems to handle 'em anymore. Darn shame.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i got to play with this rod at eureka flyshop last week
this rod will be awesome for the small steelhead in the klamath trinity and rogue rivers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts