Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half gave me permission last winter to get a new fishing partner. A black male lab puppy.

I stopped by the breeder in Salem today and the mom is finally due on 8/10. Poor thing, she was already very uncomfortable and really showing. The next two weeks in this heat will be really unpleasant for her.

So if all goes well, in about two months I will have a new spey fishing partner. But I need a name for this guy. I'd like it to be something flyfishing or NW-river related. And of course, since dogs convey a lot about their masters, it should be a manly, burly, handsone name; just to maintain appropriate continuity.

So far the kids and the wife have come up with:
* Hunter
* Jake
* Hatch

I'd like to tap the creative minds here. Can you suggest some names for him? Of course someone will offer up "Sparky" (ryan) so I'll add that to mix from the start.

thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
name

DLoop -- Are you by chance getting your puppy from Sunnyview Kennels near Salem? I have a 10 year old black lab that I got from them as a puppy. Best investment I ever made. He has made a great fishing partner and has never been to a vet for anything but standard shots. His name is Jake (offiical name is Sunnyviews Snakey Jake). He is solid muscle and is 90 lbs.

Labs are great companions. I like the name "Hardy" as suggested in this thread.

Best,

Ray PHelps :)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Roderick

Steeped in steelhead lore, and it sounds great in "Scooby-speak" puppy talk :hihi: yeah, I have the complete series on DVD for my kids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here in the UK the Lab is probably the most popular of all dogs for fishing and shooting.......mine always managed to have a look of discust when I missed that 'sitter' of a duck flying over-head and whine when I lost a fish ....
his name was 'Duke' and he was the best dog I ever had!

Speyliner

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. These are all great suggestions and this will make for a fun 'family meeting' in the next week or so.

How is 'Takia' pronounced? Like 'talkia'? or 'tackia'? I should probably know this already but I don't. I suppose this disqualifies me from using it. :(

Ray, yes, I am getting him from Dick Winer at Sunnyview Kennels. It's great to hear that yours turned out to be such an awesome dog.

·
JD
3,646 Posts
Name him after your favorite black steelhead fly. Not the "black dog" or "wholly bugger" but something more appropriate. :)

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Going to love seeing how this turns out after 'pupster' is a few months old. Train a lab to stay with you early!! Have two yellow's (21 months old in a few days). Isabella (Bella) is the 'wander!' :saeek: See water: "Must Swim!!!"
Fortunately, not to the far bank.

Alasandro (Sandy) has turned out to be the 'fishing dog.' He'll wander about a bit on the beach, but right back when you 'whistle him up.' It's when you have a fish right at water's edge that he gets a bit 'dodgie.' Interesting when you're alone and working with a 14' rod ... :roll:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Introducing "Jake"

Thanks for all the name suggestions. In the end my17yr old daughter prevailed. This was even after a trip to visit Sparky at K's. A few weeks ago I tricked her into coming into his store so that he could talk to her directly about the name. He even tried to bribe her with a 'very cool' fishing beanie if she would let the pup be named Sparky. She wouldn't have any part of that. (And now she won't go into ANY fly fishing shops with me)

Picked him up from Sunnyview Labs last Saturday - 6 wks old
http://dloop.us/jake/jake2.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
great looking pup!

Dloop,

Great looking pup and great name. As I said in previous post, I got my lab from SunnyView (Sunnyviews Snakey Jake, Jake for short). He is the best fishing partner in the world, but can only tolerate no fish to the hand for a short time and then gives me the look "where's the fish, Bubba?"

Seriously, he is now ten years old and except for a few grey hairs on the chin, still looks and acts like he did when he turned a year old. Coat is smooth and silky. Hope you have as good as luck with your pup as I have had with my Jake.

Best,

RPhelps :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.