Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Chas got me started recently by introducing me to a NW Oregon guide (sponsor/non-sponsor?) for an introductory lesson on the Nehalem River. He reminded me of my first flight instructor a young guy from Canada...strickly by the numbers but my spey instructor had a great (dry) sense of humor. Anyway I was actually casting for fish by the end of the day and though I didn't catch a fish I was hooked. :cool:

Another board I belong to suggests an introductory story so I'll give it a shot here......

My first trip after the lesson I went to the Cowlitz with the plan to fish the evening camp in my sled and fish the next day with my trusty German Shorthair Josie - fishing dog extrordinaire. Fishing a Skagit line with heavy sink tip and very heavy articulated fly I began fishing a spot that I just knew held fish. After about 15 casts I wrapped the line/hook around my hat and thought wow that was strange how did I do that. A couple casts later I sent a really good cast out but the line hung up on something hmmmmm where is the hook....not on my hat... a little lower...oh there it is in my left jaw (flesh)...did not feel a thing but did not pinch the barb either.

Not a great start...trip to hospital in Centrailia.......:tsk_tsk:

Undeterred I have landed three fish. One on the Clackamas and two on the Cowlitz since and I'm completely hooked.

Looking forward to picking up good tips and eventually providing some good info on Spey Pages.

To the developer thanks it looks like a great site.

Ripping Lines

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome aboard!!! If you've stabbed yourself and some fish then you'll fit right in. Here are some tips right away.

Tip #1 - Pinch your barbs down ;-)

Tip #2 - Watch your anchor, if it's looking like it's remotely on line with any body part - stop and don't cast. Watching the anchor is a good habit starting out. I'm into it for some years and it's harder to start watching after you've been looking at the back or forward cast for a while.

Tip #3 - For now, keep the fly a rod length away and 1/2 to 1 rod length in front of you before making the forward stroke.

Tip #4 - Keep taking lessons (for a while). It's always good to keep revisiting your progress since you can't watch yourself cast.

-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wilson said:
Welcome aboard!!! If you've stabbed yourself and some fish then you'll fit right in. Here are some tips right away.

Tip #1 - Pinch your barbs down ;-)

Done!!:D

Tip #2 - Watch your anchor, if it's looking like it's remotely on line with any body part - stop and don't cast. Watching the anchor is a good habit starting out. I'm into it for some years and it's harder to start watching after you've been looking at the back or forward cast for a while.

Working on that!

Tip #3 - For now, keep the fly a rod length away and 1/2 to 1 rod length in front of you before making the forward stroke.

Will have to try this one.

Tip #4 - Keep taking lessons (for a while). It's always good to keep revisiting your progress since you can't watch yourself cast.

Absolutely will.

-Chris
Thank You!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Watch the wind

and when you are tired. Those are times when accidents happen. The pinched barbs are a "best practice idea" and not just for releasing fish. As you found out, it is much easier to "release" yourself. Personally, I have been there and done that. Once in the upper lip with a single hand rod, the wind blew the backcast into my face and I was tired and didn't duck. Once under the jaw in the wind and not watching the anchor.

Glad you have joined the positive "addiction" and already have caught some fish.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
welcome Tug!

Glad you found us!

I started Speypages back in 2000 early one morning when I couldn't sleep after working on a goofy academic paper all night. I wanted to create a place for me to hang out and trade info with the dozen or so other spey addicts I knew. It has certainly grown a lot since then, but the Speypages and Speyclave remain true to those roots. Use the search feature and wander through the archives to find all kids of cool stuff about Spey casting, and don't be afraid to participate. I like to think of this place as a virtual table at the Log Cabin Pub. You'll find this a pretty relaxed and friendly group with only a few minor brawls each year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
when I was a youngster my Dad and uncle were trying to teach me to cast with the "Big Rod" long story short ended up hooking the old boy behind the ear. Dad seemed to be more PO'd at my uncle due to his laughter at the situation. hence 40 sum years later I'm going to have to pay for some lessons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.