Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3-D Spey

ok, I got @ 20 minutes in the other day with the 9/10 Snowbee 3-D Spey on 2 Loop rods, the gray 9130 and the black 9140.

The 3-D is a long belly line (73ft belly). The belly is Ivory with a color change to Green at the running line, which makes it really easy to adjust the amount of overhang for optimum performance. The line overall is very supple. The running line is thin which aids in shooting. It cast very nicely on these two rods, with positive turnover and beautiful loops. I will spend more time with the Snowbees over the coming weeks and continue to update this thread as I test them in preparation for a review on the speypages.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Btw, what about the profile of the Snowbee lines? Are they a bit like Rio and other "continous" tapers, ie most of the weight at the back or perhaps more level in the belly section?

·
Registered
294 Posts
First out1D on the salt

Bob Wellard kindlt sent me a 1d and 2d in the 8/9 wt rating .went to the coast with a 13' Stcroix Imperial rated 7/8l ,not the best testing ground ,but was impressed with the smoothness and lack of memory ,I found it perhaps a tad light for my liking but once i had a feel for setting up a good D loop it fairly sung out .
this was casting from rocks in a howling gale ,not the best place to try anew combo .
I think I will like it ,and hope to try the 2d later this weekend tho weather forecasts are not kind .

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cast the 9/10 lines a bunch on the Dean but didn't get to fish them much! (see my Dean reports under "Destinations"). All three line styles (1D, 2D & 3D or short head, mid head and long head styles) are nicely balanced and turn over very well. These lines are more supple than what NA casters are used to and the ultra thin running line really shoots nicely. I am sending them north with a friend who will put them to the test on Skeena steelhead this fall. Look for a detailed review later this autumn.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Teifi trials

well I have had the 1d shorthead line and its not really for me .I come from the long DT school of thought .
However this weekend I was fishing the Teifi in west wales ,river was way too high really for light weight line fishing ,but it was perfect time to get the 2D out .
I reallly like it ,it is smmooth limp and tangle free ,with a Hardy 12.5 rod 25yds was effortless and with some practice a comfortable 28/30yds is,nt out of the question .the pool I was testing it on didnt give me much more room to go for .
turn over was excellent, the fine tip giving a splash free landing .
best of all young Hugh my boy gave it a good go and found the line much easier to use than the DT he had been using .
think I may have to aquire a 3D as it might be even more to my liking .
I would rate this line highly and over here it (UK) its areal value for money spey line .?how are prices over that side ?? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts