Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new Simms G4Z waders? Any feedback compared to the old ones?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I called simms and asked about the differenceses. I was told they have reduced the layers of goryex in some areas of the waders.

·
Registered
73 Posts
4 layer Gore-Tex bottom instead of 5. It’s supposed to increase breathability.

I prefer 5 layer bottom for the durability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
My old gz leaked from day one!
Soggy crotch all day!!
I received abysmal customer service glue splattered all over my $800 waders and they still leaked.... then told my layering of clothes caused the problem... only problem is same clothes in a pair of my
Patagonia waders stay dry....hmmmmm.
Hope the new ones are better!!
So did they remove a layer of goretex and raise price of waders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Skeena in the fall
374 Posts
I swear by my old pair of G4Z.
Sent back twice for servicing repaired at no charge, still going strong.
Will try to keep fixing the old ones before I try something newer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My waders leaked from day one but because I had bought and stored them till the next season they tried to charge me to repair.
I was told free repair was only during the first year
Then they we’re still leaking when I recieved back....
They still leak to this day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm not sure how many generations of G4Z's there have been, but I know I have a second-gen pair.
First gen had rounded (smaller?) exterior pockets, and the 2nd gen had them more angular.

Anyways, I spent a pretty penny on those, and they have been awesome for three seasons now zero complaints yet.

Minus one goretex layer = plus the price? Where is Simms going? I poked over to their website and found something new called the "Fish Whistle" that puzzled me until I saw more google images of it. I guess if they're gonna do beer cozy and cigar cases, why not this eh?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don’t own the g4 but have the new g3 and will say I’m a bit disappointed in them. They feel thinner and the colour is like some kind of space suit. I like the old ones better.

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
Best waders I ever owned was a pair of Dan Bailey's Bare Bones. Bought on sale for $79. They lasted 12 years before I had to toss them because the fabric finally wore through where my jacket and arms rubbed on them.

·
Fly Away
96 Posts
Why the hell isn't someone making zippered, insulated vibram and/or felt-bottomed boot foot waders? Simms used to offer a G4 zippered boot foot wader; now they only offer a G3 boot foot wader that doesn't have a zipper. Zippered, boot foots are great for winter steelheading. Your feet stay warmer, and you don't have to fumble around lacing up separate boots, gravel guards, or taking off your jacket and pulling down your waders when it's freezing cold or raining. Can we start a petition to Simms?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sitka offers a zipped bootfoot with 4 layer gortex upper and lower. I posted earlier today to see if anyone has experience with them. Same insulation level as the G3's with a Lacrosse molded boot. They are almost 2lbs lighter than the G3's.

Oldman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts