Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had shoulder surgery. Specifically, a total shoulder replacement. I've been putting it off for 4 years now, mostly because I'm a chicken. But it's deteriorated to the point that I can no longer use my bottom hand to cast (or anything else) :frown: . I'm hoping to get one more trip to BC this fall, and then have the surgery in November. Any feedback would be most welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have four screws in my shoulder from a labrum and rotator cuff repair. It's never been the same. I can still fish though, but it does bother me sometimes. Good luck, i wish you the very best.

CDG

·
Registered
939 Posts
Flyguy9 said:
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had shoulder surgery. Specifically, a total shoulder replacement. I've been putting it off for 4 years now, mostly because I'm a chicken. But it's deteriorated to the point that I can no longer use my bottom hand to cast (or anything else) :frown: . I'm hoping to get one more trip to BC this fall, and then have the surgery in November. Any feedback would be most welcome.
Thanks

I'd be a chicken too. Since, however, I assume you have no choice but surgery, my advice would be to use all the resources available to you to find out which doctors have performed the kind of surgery you require most successfully -- use the Internet, call Mayo Clinic etc. and ask. Have one of those doctors perform the operation even if it means travelling. You want a "practiced" physician, not one who is "practicing".

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
It's really amazing what they can do nowadays. Just think of all the atheletes and the phenomenal recoveries they make after surgery.

I would be chicken too but if it meant fishing or not it wouldn't be a hard choice.

·
Registered
498 Posts
surgery

When I had my back broken several years ago. I lucked out and got the surgeon that took care of Seattle Seahawks team and other sports injuries. He was the 3rd doctor that saw me and the only one that thought I might walk again. The other doctors both said he was my best bet. I thank God he was available.

If I were looking to have shoulder surgery done I would seach out the best sports medicine doctor I could find.

Skilly

·
Banned
974 Posts
Get the Best - Soon

I am lucky that I only have had a rebuilt knee. Watching other people go through joint replacements (knee & hip) I can draw one conclusion: find the very best sports surgeon and do NOT delay surgery. Being chicken invites other injuries as you body adjusts to the shoulder problem and some injuries continue to worsen.

That said, I wish you the very best. Could surgery be worse than what you are going through now?

Best,
David

P.S. - BC will be there after your surgery and you will enjoy it more if you can cast. And don't forget the spring and summer runs.

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
Three words for after you take the plunge...

Rehab...Rehab...Rehab...
Way back in the 1900's ('99) I got trashed in an Air Force aircraft incident/mishap/accident...It continues to bite me when the weather changes...
After 3 visits under the knife I still have problems...
Physical therapy is the key to success/survival...
When I get lazy and the therapy slides, I pay the price in spades.
Do what you gotta' do...
And mega-size the PT!

A CND Atlantis 2-hander has helped reduce the Motrin doses! :wink:

Getting old SUCKS but it sure beats the alternative!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the advice. I have seen 4 surgeons and have picked the best I think. Everyone I have spoken with that has had joint replacement said they wish they had done it earlier. But none were spey fishers or as young (old) as I (I'm 48) or as active. Hopefully I'll still be able to row my raft and speycast next year. :)
Lon

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Flyguy9

Be sure to have a top sports medicine doc/team look at your shoulder for a second opinion.

Then select a top sports medicine orthopedic surgeon to do the surgery. Stanford has some great docs at Stanford and who have left Stanford after their training. These are the guys who patch up the 49ers and other teams send their walking wounded to them.

UC Davis in Sac has a good Sports Medicine surgery program. I know many guys your age who have good surgeries from ankles to shoulders at UC Davis.

After the surgery find a physical therapy person who specializes in shoulder rehab. If you don't you will be wasting your money and will be in worse shape.

After the surgery, don't double haul a heavy line use a two handed rod.

Your age is on your side. When I hurt my shoulder 3 years ago, my FP and a personal friend advised against the surgery because my tendons/muscles were 62 years old.

Two flyfishers my age had shoulder surgery that summer and had terrible results. One had a relapse of cancer and died during his terrible post op experience. Both went back to casting single hand rods, using shooting heads and the double haul.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
This isn't L&I is it?

Hopefully not. That's my main problem now. All the good doctors won't accept L&I claims unless you'll foot out what L&I won't pay. Mine isn't a shoulder rebuild, but mine is a spinal injury including nerve/disc damage and tissue damage in shoulder. Pretty much crippling my left side. Hurts just to use the rotary in my vise, let alone fishing. I've found some awesome surgeons who said they can work wonders for me, but none will take me (since they would only make a low percentage of their normal figures). Pretty crappy position to be in. Hell, still fighting to get healed here. Missed alot of fishing, hunting, and whitewatering in the last 18 months. Really makes a guy pissy. :Eyecrazy: :hihi:

Hope it all works out for you. They can do wonders for you. But really helps if you are going through your normal insurance. My regular insurance put me into some awesome doctors over the years. But with recent changes in L&I structuring, has put alot of the good doctors out of reach. :mad:

And those of you who got into the pro athlete's surgeons, that was a blessing. Most of the time, very hard to get into them at all. Reason why those athletes make sure great recovery is because those top notch surgeons cater to them (not all, but most).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts