Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to see the new Sage MOD at the Sandy Clave yesterday. Finally a new moderate action stick from them. It is a glowing Kawasaki green so I am going to be the first to nickname it the ZX-7 after one of my favorite Kawasakis!!!!!

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I would not be surprised to see chartreuse being offered for 2016.... Sage, cmon... Red, green, these are not toys for God's sake...

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Sage MOD huh, sounds interesting, was it a double hander or single hander rod that you tried? Can you compare it to any other current rods, or give us some details on the flex profile? Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mod

I didn't get a chance to cast it. It was a two hander. I think they had a 7 and 8 weight there.
As for the color, I have to admit, I grew up in the 80s so I loved it. I also own a blue VT2 and the Red Method.......... I would buy red and purple waders if they were available!!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I wanted to try the Sage Method, and am glad I found them to be stiff as a fireplace poker. No way will I fish with a red fly rod. The Mod has a nice action, but I ain't gonna' fish that bright green either. Sage has a new rod model every year, like it's some fashion accessory. I'm glad all my Sages are brownies, good looking and good casting.

Sg

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I wanted to try the Sage Method, and am glad I found them to be stiff as a fireplace poker. No way will I fish with a red fly rod. The Mod has a nice action, but I ain't gonna' fish that bright green either. Sage has a new rod model every year, like it's some fashion accessory. I'm glad all my Sages are brownies, good looking and good casting.

Sg
AMEN! I can't keep up anymore! I swear every time I blink they have ANOTHER new stick and FOR ME they are all equally as bad casting as they are ugly, other than the one she is pretty but still casts like Crap for me. I would probably do just as well putting eyes and a reel on a fence post! Sorry to all you safe guys but I just can't cast or deal with the hideous colors anymore... Burkie, ACR, Etc makes me feel like they are much more interested in the actual use of the rod on the river rather than how it looks back at camp... Just my opinion and sorry about the rant

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Well I agree feather inlays and all of that is very blingy hence why I don't own one of his rods... I would be very surprised if you could a post from me that is even close to raving about the latest and greatest from anyone (other than the new cane!), I am not a rod junkie by any means... a very common conversation this weekend was how if you give one of those Scott, Travis, Marty type guys an 8 wt POS rod with a 400 grain line they will very quickly be able to cast as far as anyone with very little effort. I'm sorry but it doesn't sell me on a rod to see an amazing caster doing an amazing job with it...

I apologize I took this thread in the wrong direction and I hope it can he taken as discussion and opinions rather than turn into something it doesn't have to be. We all have the right to our opinion and we all have our IT rod.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
every time I blink they have ANOTHER new stick Burkie, ACR, Etc makes me feel like they are much more interested in the actual use of the rod on the river rather than how it looks
what they look like is classy. subdued, but such attention to detail, fit and finish, quality components, and great cork that LASTS !! two of the few companies that spend very little on marketing. nothing wrong with how a sage casts, some are awesome, but the build quality and cork is sacrificed to pay the marketing "geniuses" certain colors just dont blow my kilt up either. i also HATE gold reels !!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I didn't mean my post to be a rant. Sage has produced many great rods, and I think the MOD falls in that category with respect to performance. The bright green appearance, well, not so much. I've long thought understated elegance is the hallmark of class, but the Method and MOD throw that right out the window, hence my preference for and attraction to the old brown Sage rods.

Sg

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well old is old and poor casting practices won't change that..

I have the method single hander 8wt for the salt and it is better then any sage i've had before...that said, i got the 6wt salt and it's the best damn 6wt from sage i have ever cast .... judging a rod by color is ridiculous to me...and from what custom guys have done to cork etc. MORE POWER TO YOU!!! it's your rod and **** what other people think!!

As far as spey rods, mine will continue to be 3 piece Bruce and Walkers, the 7133-3 burkie and a few T&T blues....(which were considered by some to be horribly bright)

·
Banned
879 Posts
No way will I fish with a red fly rod.
Pair that Method up with an Aero head and you've got one sizzling combo!!!

Another reason why I'm drawn to Burkies and ACR's. Both really good casting rods AND a pleasure to look at...

One of my Burkies is a couple years old, hasn't even seen water or a reel. Too damn purrrrrty to mess up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love my Method 7119! Strong, fast...Always really enjoyed faster rods, when your timing is right this thing launches! Tried a #7 switch chucker but recently just moved over to scandi and either just a tapered leader or a light scandi tip. The lamson arx is awesome too, always love reels with a drag. Then i will toss traditional stuff with it preferred dry line so it may be a bit weird. Oh well one day cane rods and noisy reels to match the vintage flees? Or maybe not as i am a sucker for graphite and conical drags.

Oh the colour does not bother me too much, obviously would prefer black but the way it performs it could be dayglo pink and i would still use it. Just to add when i have a skagit mist dee fly rigged up the whole thing oozes saucyness.

Might try this new sage even tho it appears to be more deep loading. Really love the Zeds and TCX too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is this rod due to replace the One? I thought the Accel eclipsed the VXP, I hope this new rod also is a move in the same direction... faster isn't necessarily better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
6130-4
7130-4
8130-4

I only had a chance to wiggle the 6 & 7. 6 will be a great fall PNW stick and the 7 feels like the do-it-all winter rod (on the lighter side). I am guessing the 8 will be a bit of a slugger.
Thanks....

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Honestly, I looooove green sticks, that MOD 6130 sounds mighty Bueno. I personally am not a fan of fast Spey blanks, The TCX, Method & ONE rods have always underwhelmed me. The z-axis series however is the perfect balance of deep load & tip recovery for my casting stroke. Anyone cast this MOD blank? Can any of you compare it to the z-axis taper, similar...different?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'll take the bait - you think the blank color is more 'bling' than jungle cock and contrasting color wraps?

Additionally, Sage adds a new series, with a new name and color. Easy to tell which rod is from which series. Everytime they do there is an uprising on this forum about the "marketing machine".

When one of our local rod guys announces that he's 'tweaked the taper' or adds a new switch rod that is 1" longer than the last, everyone is quick to jump in on how great their advancements are.

I love my Sages AND my Burkies and ACRs - just want to call out behavior that I find comical.

And you don't think the Sages cast - Scott Howell sure seems to get it out there with that 'broomstick' Method he was wielding.
Hey John,

We've known each other for nearly 10 years, so going beyond innuendo in your comments about my rods would be totally cool by me.

Maybe just try saying "Meiser's rods" ... Or even "Bob's rods" ... That would be OK too.

Thanks <> "one of our local rod guys"

Meiz

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey John,

We've known each other for nearly 10 years, so going beyond innuendo in your comments about my rods would be totally cool by me.

Maybe just try saying "Meiser's rods" ... Or even "Bob's rods" ... That would be OK too.

Thanks <> "one of our local rod guys"

Meiz
Hey Bob. I was a part of that too and I was trying to avoid any disrespect because you do such amazing work! I do plan to talk about a custom build in the future as I really enjoy your rods but the cosmetics don't fit my style as much. I hope I didn't rub you in a bad way and thanks for chiming in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts