Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the new Sage Z-Axis 11ft for 5wt Switch rod. Initially I had ordered the TFO 11ft, 5wt and the dealer called stating the TFO and the new Sage Z-Axis were in stock. The Sage is lighter in swing weight and feels much crisper when casting a standard WF line.

The rod balances midway on the fore grip with a Ross Canyon 4 reel and is light enough to easily cast single handed if desired. The two handed casting is a totally new experience with this Z-Axis design. My favorite 11ft rod is the 6110-4 XP which is 4 9/16 oz. the new 5110-4 Z-Axis is 5 1/16 oz. however, it feels much lighter in swing weight when casting.

My initial lines used were standard WF5F and WF6F for overhead casting, the rod likes the WF6F better. I also tried a Rio WF7F Salmon/Steelhead line with a 66ft belly, now the rod comes alive. This weekend I will also test cast on water with the Rio Salmon/Steelhead lines in 5wt, 6wt and 7wt. I also have one of the new SA Nymph lines in WF6F with the 66ft belly redesign.

Regards,
Fred Krow

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd be interested to hear about tips, too. Or even a head system (skagit, scando, shooting...).

Sounds like a great rod--I'd love to have one for the Yakima and Cedar rivers!

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
I fished this rod about two months ago with a 4/5 windcutter and a 7 foot rio sikining leader. It seemed to be a great setup on this rod as you could easily cast single handed or spey. The best part about iwas that it is light enough to spey single handed and still cast 50 plus feet of line. I have also heard some of the salmon/steelhead lines have been a good fit as well.

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts