Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just, well almost, saved enough green fishing vouchers to buy a new Salmon Rod. My present rod is a 13ft of a make I'm too embarrased to mention - well I thought it was a good one at the time. Too many to chose from though. With my budget of about £400, or exactly 723.079 of your US dollars. my short list is; Sharpes Gordon or Aquarex, Loop Blue or Greenline, Alltmor or Snowbee. I really want a rod that is good for long and short range on Scottish rivers in the autumn (thats the "Fall" to you guys) and the back end of the year. I fish the Nith so I'm really after a 15' 10 weight. Its also essential its a good Spey Caster.

·
Registered
56 Posts
new rod for nith

I would also consider the bruce and walker norway or kola rods which will withstand the autumn fishing .I have seen to many high end rods with really thin wall blanks break when trying to lift a sunk line and tube fly ,which is the usual method of fishing in the back end,regards steve

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Meiser Highlander 16' 9/10/11 would fit the bill perfectly AND for less than you have saved. Custom built with workmanship second to none and a warranty and customer service to match.

Willie Gunn should be able to chime in here and describe in detail the incredible performance of Meiser's Highlander series for your application.

Chris

·
Registered
445 Posts
............RobinA, I have 14' Blue, and Green. Both wonderful rods, the Blue is more progressive, with a slightly thicker blank-the Green is faster with a slightly thinner wall. I have cast the Green with a custom line, and a 20' 470 grain head that sinks 12'' a second with no problem. Should be great for deep winter work. That combo will easily fish at 100' with a big fly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
RobinA,

I'm with Stephen on this one - Nearly every ghillie that I have met fishing the Tay use a Bruce and Walker Norway Speycaster. I think that speaks volumes for the range.

I bought a Daiwa Alltmor S on a recomendation and wish that I had opted for the B&W Norway instead. It seems that you can feel the cast a lot better with the Norway, and get the timing right it will put out a good line. Over 50% of the people that I know who bought Alltmor S rods have snapped them. To be fair on Daiwa, I don't know anybody that has snapped the new range of rods in normal speycasting.

A friend of mine has been using the new orvis rods which retail for less than £300. he likes them so much he has bought three in different sizes. They are a bit on the stiff side, but seem powerful and durable. They have quite a fast tippy action compared to more traditional rods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I haven't tried the 15' B&W Norways, but I recently got a 13', which seems a nice little rod. As Gary says, you hardly ever hear a bad word said against them. The only slight bore is that they're 3 piece, which is less convenient if you travel to fish (especially by air).

Incidentally, Tightlines are offering the 15' 9-10 at a penny less than £200, which is a very good price (rrp is £323, though you can usually get them for about £240). If you're fishing the Nith at the back end with a sunk line you might want to go for the 10-11, though.

Gary, I have an Alltmor 15' and am happy with it, though I wouldn't describe myself as an expert caster. Interested in your comment about breakages, though - I've heard this before but thought that it affected the older 3 piece model. Have your friends had similar problems with the 4 piece?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gardener,

All the breakages that I have heard of and witnessed were with the Alltmor S 15'2". This was the last but one range of rods that Daiwa released(plain blank with clear gloss, burgundy whippings, gold trim). The latest range(burgundy blank with green whippings) seems to be fairing better.

Statistically, it was over 60% breakages within the first year or just over the year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watched the Henrik Mortensen dvd and his HMS rod look pretty cool. Don't any for sale in the UK though. The underhand style is pretty impressive and as I'm embarking on a couple of Spey lessons I was leaning to the Loop Greenline. Has anyone used the Sharpes Aquarex 15'?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
RobinA...

Don't any for sale in the UK though
A Goggle search using the terms Scierra Tackle will take you to many UK shops where it is for sale.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hywel Morgan also has a series of rods named after him - HM2 - and being a Welshman they are fairly well promoted over here and are burgandy blanks as opposed to the grey blanks of the HMS rods. Both ranges have trout and salmon models which adds to the confusion.
I haven't yet seen any of the UK shops advertising the HMS rods, only the HM2 series.
Perhaps Scierra could have been a bit clearer with their names and it wouldn't surprise me if more than one person had bought the HM2 thinking they were buying the HMS?! :Eyecrazy:

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Meiser rods

Being a Yank, from this side of the pond, I can't comment on the UK rods. I can however, vouch for the Meiser Highlander series. Bob has done a lot of R&D work developing these rods and I think he has hit the mark on them. So much so that I've been trying to convince him to add me to his pro staff so I can play with, er I mean evaluate, them with XLT, Grand Spey, and whatever other long belly lines I can get my hands on. :D

But ask Willy Gunn. He has the 16 footer and should be able to fill you in, maybe even meet up with you so you can "give it a go" as you would say. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snowbee

How about the Snowbee XS-P? I see a review is about to be published but it doesn't seem to be a widley used rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I sell all 3 of these rods so I might be considered biased. The BIG Meisers are very nice. They are beautifully finished and they cast exceptionally well with the Carron lines. Willie Gunn is the man to talk to over in your part of the world.
The CND Salmo Salar will rock with a 10 wt or 11 wt. Wulff TT spey line.
As to the Snowbee I haven't tried the 15'-10/11 but I have a 14'-9/10 and I just love it when coupled with a Snowbee 2D line.
There are lots of great rods out there. Cast as many as you possibly can before making your decision. Have fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts