Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used (new to me) Sage 7136 "brownie". Got a great deal and a very nice like new rod. I thought about using my current reel form my loop 9140, but would like to be able to have to rods loaded and ready.:devil: My next alternative is buying another spool for my Ross BG 4 and using it. Currently its on my XP-8wt. Do you think I can manage not having to purchase another reel. I got into this rod (plus a new Midspey) fairly cheap and want to keep it fairly on the cheap. Does the BG4 have the capacity to hold the Midspey 8-9?

Andre

·
Registered
630 Posts
No, it won't fit

on the BG 4, and my Mid Spey 7/8 is a tight fit on the BG 5. I think your minimum Ross is the BG 6 for the MS8/9. Are you sure you want to use the MS8/9 on the brown 7136? I think it might be overloaded unless you're fishing pretty short. Have you checked Rio's recommendations (which are for the newer and slightly faster version of the 7136 that replaced the brown one). My best guess is that it would match best with the MS7/8. Maybe Fred Evans will weigh in here. I think he's got some stream time with the 7136. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Andre, I have to go with Carl's thoughts on this one.

I suspect he's on the mark with his observation that the 7/8 Mid-spey would be too many grains for the 'original' (and I have one) 7136. For close in work, it would be 'ok' but for 'reaching out and touching someone' you may be pushing the rod farther than you/it wants to go.

Just pulled the rod and mine has the short head Airflo (damn me, I didn't put the sticker on the spool!!) but it's the mint green one and I think in a 6-7 line weight. Reel is a Redington AS 9-10 and it holds the line, and a wad of backing. As there's still quite a bit of empty spool you could probably go down one AS reel size. If you're going us a large arbor reel the 9-10 may be the better choice.

I'll check with the folks with whom I got the line (he had it on his rod, and I tried it on mine and dropped the dime) and get back to you asap. Needless to say, the two work wonderfully together.
fae

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Cortland is dumping the Hardy JLH Golden Salmon 4". You can probably score one for under $130. Nice alternative to buying a spool.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
PhilMeister, you hottie!!

Shoot me (PM) the web address where to find this gem!!

Christmas is a comin' and I've been Good!!:hehe:

·
fly on little wing
1,100 Posts
yo andre

check out the redington as11/12. you can get them for under $80 from at least 2 ebay vendors. i loaded a ms7/8 and 200 yds of 30# dacron. i also bought spare spools. i have a dt9f with 200 yds of 30# dacron and a wc9/10/11 with 200 yds of 30# dacron. these reels are like a large arbor with that much backing.

pm me if you want to know who i bought them from.

Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just checked the Cortland site, and the price for the Golden JLH Salmon is $157.50 plus $8.00 shipping. I've seen em' cheaper on eBay.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Andre D re your "new: 7136

Even the Mid Spey 7/8 seems to overload this soft rod.

The best line that I have found for it (for me) is the MS 6/7 floating line. The two work very well together.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hardy JLH Salmon

Check out the dealer in Penrith, UK.

They are selling the JLH Salmon for £55 (~$94US)! Bear in mind that the price is about 17% less if you are not in the EU. This nets out to about $77US!!!

Hardy Princess reels are also priced similarly

Cheap!!!:smokin:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Old Brown 7146

Andre - you definitely want a 7/8 midspey or a 6/7, depending on how much bend you want to put in the rod. You will not get all of the head out of the rod with the 7/8 without badly overloading the rod.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Re: Andre, I have to go with Carl's thoughts on this one.

Just noticed that in my first post I said it came with the MS 8/9, what was I thinking??? Its actually a MS 7/8. Sorry for the confusion. So, it looks like I will be looking for a new reel too, actually my be cheaper than picking up a spool for the Ross. What size of reel should I be looking for (why don't mfg's list spey line capacitied, only some do) Should I be looking at something in the WF9-10 category?

I think I will try out the MS 7/8 for a while and see how it does, then maybe try out the MS 6/7 or something entirely different.

Andre

·
JD
3,609 Posts
XLT line for 7136 brownie

Andre,

If the MS 7/8 overloads the brownie, and I expect it will, Try a 6/7 XLT line on it. Both Fred and I have been useing that line on the 7136 greenie and it works very well.

Next time you're up this way, give a shout and you can try one of ours.

Check out the Redington's and Phleuger's online. PLenty good enough, and cheap.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
In years past I spent a lot of long lazy days in the PNW fishing my 7136-4 brownie and have enjoyed using both the M/S 7/8 and the Windcutter 6/7/8 with tips on the rod. As others have suggested, the 6/7 MS might provide a light snappy alternative for the rod but I find the 7/8 to be a very good match for the rod and will shoot surprisingly far one the caster slows down and lets the rod work in it's own cadence so that the load stays in the deep part of the blank until the final abrupt stop. Snake roll is a great cast for this combination.

This means that the Airflo Delta 7/8 would probably fall between the 6/7 and the 7/8 MS and also a great choice for those looking lighter. I really like the Hardy MachI line since Sparky got me hooked on it, but I am uncertain which rating would match this rod having never tried. I suspect it would be the 9/10 MachI (not a typo) since the 8/9 matches the Sage 5wt 12fter. The line casts well with a softer blank as this.

When fishing the windcutter, the tips you use affect the castability as with any rod. It's a no-brainer with the floating tip but I found that using lighter tips (grain weights) in high density materials did the job much better. To do this you could purchase lighter grain/ft high density shooting heads and cut them into tips, which cast beautifully and got down plenty far to hook steelhead. This is nothing new, many hardcores in the PNW cut their own tips from lighter grained thinner high density lines to tweak the best cast to sink ratios.

This rod seems to have lost it's rung at the top of the summer run ladder in Sage's line up to make room for new advances in this line class. It's a little slow for my tastes but is still a favorite of many and has brought many wonderful fall fishing days to hand for the legends of the northwest fishing scene and the weekend warrior alike, myself included.

Not quite a collectors item yet but it will forever holds it's place in spey casting history as the summer run little brother to the 9140-4.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
reels 4 7136

Andre,

There is a vendor on the web selling Cortland and STH reels at a very resonable price. Turbines, large arbors, lever drags, anti reverse, casettes. Send me a PM if interested and I'll email you the link.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Jacob re Loop Traditional Reels

The top dogs at Loop should have their butts kicked for dropping the Loop Traditional 4 reel and not making a Loop Traditional 5 weighing in at about 10 ounces.

Many of today's Spey Rods weigh between 9 and 10+ ounces.

Loop is missing a huge market share by not having the Loop Traditional 4 and a Loop Traditional 5 weighing about 10 ounces.
These Loops Reels would balance these heavier rods without making the rod owners spend more for the reels than the rods.

I love my Loop 4 and will borrow my son's Loop 3 to evaluate Bob Meiser's new two handed Ocean Rod.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pflueger Trion 1990 LA Reel

Anyone know about this reel. $73 doesn't seem too bad of a price. Is it junk? Capacity is stated at WF10/300 yd 20# backing Here is the link
mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=1990000&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=8[/url]

AD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts