Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building an 11' switch as a favour for a friend. I finished the grip today, using the new wave burled cork, and douglas fir bark for accents. I think I like the wave.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Beautiful! I've been curious about that wave cork, it looks interesting. I was driving through miles of older Ponderosa this weekend and it got me thinking about the bark and how it would lookon a spey grip. I've got a new lathe that I need to experiment with, so maybe I'll get some Ponderosa bark and give it a go. Well done.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oh, and what seat is that? I prefer seats with exposed hoods. I think they look better and not having to do an inlet is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reel seat is a Pac Bay A6-T. I've used these on several rods and really like them. They come in Titanium and Black.
Re: the bark...I ran slabs of it through my table saw to get the thickness I wanted, then used a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut out the rings. It sands easily and is tough.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Rick,
Another super job, can't decide which one I like most, this one or your 5/6. Please keep posting your work, it's a pleasure to see.

sixheads

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks. I've used several Pac Bay seats, the A7 on single hand rods and the A8L2 on two handers and both have exposed hoods. I like the look of the A8L2 but my newer reels fit loosely in that seat and I haven't used one again because of that.
Again, a very nice build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts