Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really spey related, but I think appreciated by some here. North Fork Composites Iconoglass 8’6” 8wt. Blank is made in Woodland Washington. I wanted a removable fighting butt and black wraps, Steve and I talked about grip shape and length, the rest is all Steve. I had asked for no feather inlay, after he had started on the build he expressed wanting to do an inlay - always listen to your craftsman! I couldn’t be happier.
Wood Train Font Musical instrument Writing implement
Wood Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Tints and shades Arrow
Wood Wall Tints and shades Tool Metal
Writing implement Office supplies Wood Font Rectangle
Sleeve Art Tints and shades Plant Font

·
Registered
255 Posts
hmmm very nice. I love this detachable fighting butt style. Remind us the old bamboo rod.

So what line are u going to fish with it? OPST or intergated line like Ambush?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what line are u going to fish with it? OPST or intergated line like Ambush?

This rods main purpose, or original intent of the rod is a boat rod for northern pike. So a Rio pike/musky wf8 fi, and an SA titan i23 wf8, but I don’t have pike around locally, so I imagine some use for carp or bass. But it’s first outing will be testing with commando heads from 275-375. From the wiggle test it should skagit cast to my liking , if so it will see some brushy winter work. I will go with an integrated commando/Rio skagit trout/ or an ambush is another great option.

·
Undertaker
1,479 Posts
Really a very pretty rod. Fiberglass rods may not be the best casting rods but when fighting larger fish, they're the best. Word of warning. I lost one of those 'slide in' bottom handles on the river. Not sure if yours screws in or slides in, but if it is a slider you should tape it in place while fishing. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pike fishing is usually 40’ or less in casting distance. When blind casting I will lay out as much line as comfortable, that’s when I will cast 2 hand overhead. I will have a chance to get it out in the next couple days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts