Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, as the title suggests Im looking for some opinions on a new TH for trout. Im still new to the game but am enjoying it immensely. I currently own the redington dually 7130 which I use OH for the salt (unsuccessfully anyway) and I built up the anglers roost 11' 2/3, which with a scandi line from steve is FANTASTIC for dries. That is currently my trout rod, however Id like to be able to throw some heavier flies and/or indicator rigs. I guess im looking for TH equivalent to a SH 5wt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey fellas, as the title suggests Im looking for some opinions on a new TH for trout. Im still new to the game but am enjoying it immensely. I currently own the redington dually 7130 which I use OH for the salt (unsuccessfully anyway) and I built up the anglers roost 11' 2/3, which with a scandi line from steve is FANTASTIC for dries. That is currently my trout rod, however Id like to be able to throw some heavier flies and/or indicator rigs. I guess im looking for TH equivalent to a SH 5wt. Any ideas?
If you like the ARE 11 2/3 (as I do) and you've already proven you can build, why not go with the ARE 12 3/4? I'm building one this winter on that very logic ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been looking at another ARE rod as that definitely helps budget in for a reel and line, But due to the roost blanks disparity in its labeled wt vs measured wt I wasnt sure which way to go. I have heard good things about 12' 5/6 being close to a real 5 wt, so if anyone has any hands on experience Id love to hear it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if you've seen the article about the UHM12 A.R.E. rods, but it has a little chart with grain windows for all of the 2 handed rods. This might help your decision as to which blank to use, it helped me out.

http://theanglersroost.com/products...igh-modulus-spey-rod-13ft-4pc-78wt-19-handle/

The article should appear below the product description and is entitled "A new breed." I also found the same grain window chart in the photos on the Angler's Roost facebook page.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I built up the ARE 12' 5/6, and yes it is more of a 5 than a 6. However that is a two hand 5 weight, so it's more like a 7 weight Single hand. Mine is on the IM6 blank but the UHM has a very similar grain window. I use mine for steelhead and it is perfect for fish in the 3 to 7 pound range, and is a lot of rod for trout. The next rod I plan to build is similar to what you are looking for, a two hander equal to about a 5 weight single hander, and I am thinking about the 3/4 although I am leaning towards 11 feet myself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anglers Roost Rod Actions

Between my son and I, we own the Angler Roost 11' 2/3 IM6, 11' 3/4 IM6, 12' 2/3 IM6, and the 13' 7/8 IM6.

The 11' 2/3 is extremely delicate, a true single hand 2 weight. The 11' 3/4 has a bit more oomph and comes in at 3 weight single hand. We converted these rods to 2 handers by stripping off the original grips and replacing with 2 hand grips. There is a big big change in action between the 11' 2/3 and the 12' 2/3. The action on the 12' 2/3 would be in the 4/5 range for single hand use. The butt on the 12' 2/3 is significantly larger and stiffer than 11' 2/3 and as a result can handle a larger line. I use a 225 grain skagit on my 11' 3/4 and it casts beautifully with t-8 Mow tips. The 11' 2/3 is better with a 200 grain head and struggles pulling 10' of t-8 out of the water. The 12' 2/3 is perfect for a 250 grain skagit. I will be using these 2 rods (11' 3/4 & 12' 2/3) for my trout fishing. I plan on using the 11' 3/4 for smaller waters and the 12' for bigger water.

My point is don't think the action is the same on the 2/3 with the difference being just the length. They are completely different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rickbjr,

I agree on the action for the 11' 2/3. I had considered trying some heavier lines because of its large grain window, but I just didn't think the rods action would work for my intended use. If you were looking to throw some larger weighted flies/indicator rigs, would you say the 12' 2/3 would be sufficient, or do you think the 3/4 would be better suited? My only experience with anglers roost rods is the 11' 2/3.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Frobombs,

The 12' 2/3 is sweet. Don't let your experience of the 11' 2/3 lead you to believe the 12' 2/3 is a buggy whip. It is a fine action and will handle larger flies, it will cast a 250 skagit with authority, it has backbone but will still flex when you have smaller trout on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds about what I'm looking for. Most of my fishing is done local to NYC so most of my trout are in the 12-16" range. I wanted to be able to do some nymphing but didn't want to feel like I was fishing for bluegills with a 2x4. I think I'll check out the 12' 2/3 and have Steve make up another line for me. Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I,m late on commenting but have an anglers roost 5/6 12 ft and find it casts well with a scandi head in the 330-350 grain wt for me , a 380 was to much i thought and like the 330 best. I also have a 3/4 wrapped but have,nt finished it yet. Hoping it will work great on the Columbia for trout. The 5/6 is a much better action than the price would lead you to expect. I also bought a 7/8 from Johnny but not as fond of it,maybe just never found right line for it. If you don,t mind wrapping a blank you can use better cork than the ready made ones
have . Daryl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their input. I ended up ordering the 12' 2/3 to build up, I'll report back once it's done and I put in a little time with it.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Did you order the im6 or 12? What is the grain window for this rod? Looking to build a small spey also and are has such good reviews . Is the 12' 2/3 better in im6 or umh12? The black gloss finish sounds out so character with the flake finish.

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the IM6, pretty much for the price. I have heard the UHM blanks are a bit lighter and a little stiffer, neither of which was a huge concern for me at this time. Im not sure what the grain window is for this rod yet, however on the 11' 2/3 I built, I use a 179 gr SGS scandi line steve built for me, which works awesome for dries, but have heard guys using up to almost 350 gr lines also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts