Spey Pages banner

new reel

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Grampa Spey 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on an Orvis vortex or Islander large arbor? It's going on a Sage 10161. Need something I can change spools without a lot of fuss. Ables and Tibors are a pain to change spools. What do you guys use? Have Bauers and like them, but thought I might try something else. Thanks
Jims

#2 ·
I think the difficulty in changing spools on the Abels are blown out of proportion...it takes just seconds and would do it anywhere (aside from standing waist deep in a flowing river....but how often do we do that with a Spey rod).

Tibor's on the other hand are a b*tch!!! :(

If you are going to drop that kind of dough and want a kick ass flyreel but want simple spool changes, purchase an Evotec 11-14 HD...it will balance that rod perfectly!!

Plus it is super large arbor, sealed drag with fairly inexpensive spools and I know many that have been through Hell and back and are still going strong without ever skipping a beat!!

Plus they are totally wicked looking, hold too much backing....and well, Loop sponsors The Forum!!

You will not go wrong!

#4 ·
I [3]LOVE[/3] mine!

The spool exchange involves two loose parts but the process is very easy and quick. Everyone has their own approach but with Spey lines I rarely if ever exchange the spool on the water due to the availability of hybrid head systems (sink tips with loops) in either short, midspey or extended belly styles. My line typically is matched to the rod and my casting stroke for the day and there is enough of an adjustment introduced by the tip exchange all by itself so that I would not swap line systems mid-stream. The exchange of the HD is plenty simple for an exchange during a breakfast break or to use a line on a different rod, etc.

I do however swap spools often when fishing saltwater shorelines with a single hander and would much prefer no loose parts on those reels.

#6 ·
The Islander reels are quite easy to take apart - no capture screw on the drag knob. I like the extra few grams of the reel especially on a longer rod. You may want to use 'thin' backing to get big yardage behind really fat or long belly lines.

#7 ·
jimsand

The older model Loop 4 balances out my Sage 10151 with 300 yards of micron 30 pound backing. I only have one spool, but it is very easy to take off for cleaning the line after fishing.

If you are interested, I can provide the email address of a fly shop that gave me a good discount on my Loop 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.