Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate to be in a position to purchase both a new rod and a new real. I'm currently looking at the Bob Meiser rods in the 7 to 8 weight category, maybe 678 from 13 to 14 ft. Most likely the 13'6.

I am looking for a reel that would fit these setups and balance correctly. I currently have a Hardy Salmon 2 which I love but I'm interested in other reels as well.

For Speyco owners, please weigh in. How easy is maintenance and does the weight of the reel work well? I'm looking at the Skagit reel.

For a modern reel, I really like the Galvan Torque but would like advice on size etc.

These are good problems to have:)

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I have a buddy with a meiser 13'6" 678 and a speyco skagit and its nicely balanced. They all do the job, its how noisy do you want it to be? and how much do YOU want to be the drag vs how much do you want to use a knob to control the drag?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
First, just my .02 cents, a reel is a place you store line 95% of the time.

With one exception I haven't used a reel with a 'drag' system in years. With most the 'drag,' if that's an appropriate term, just prevents 'over run/free spooling. Line going through all the guides puts a heck of a lot of 'drag' on the fly line.

Think about the thousands of old Hardy reels (and others) in use ... zip in the way of a drag system. A 'clicker' would be just about it. 'The Scream is the Dream' with these reels.:smokin:

The line goes tight, you feel the pulsing of a fish tail in the current. Rod is 'pumping; then the line starts coming off the reel in small jerks. You just entered a whole new world .......

fae

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think that one part of the equation in reel choice is which settings you plan to use the reel in. If you were to use it for steelhead and permit fishing the last thing you would want to do is get your hand anywhere near the handle as a fish approaches the sound barrier on its first run. This is but one example of when a reel with an adjustable drag comes in handy. I guess it boils down to minimizing or maximizing the number of reels you want to buy and own.

·
Registered
371 Posts
IDK about permit, but steelhead on a clicker is just fine. Only if I was targeting King salmon, would I go back to a drag system.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
I'm a fan of Speyco reels and personally tend toward that direction. I have several and other than a bit of "Hot Sauce" internally on the rare occasion have not had reason to service mine. You can dial it in to the point of specific reel weight and Tim will build a reel that fits the configuration you need. That being said, if you're happy with the Hardy...you can't go wrong there.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
This is a tricky question on this site!

I have and use both on the rod you are looking at buying. Buy what you are comfortable with using, you have a salmon 2 just hook yourself up with a one.

If I had a gun to my head I would go with a Hatch 7 plus, best reel makers on the market.

I had a Speyco and sold it within the first year.

KC

·
Registered
30 Posts
This past Fall I found a wonderful USA handmade reel from Tim at Farlex Reels. His 4" C&P two way check would work very well for the 13 or 14 footer. These reels are exceptional. I've had the pleasure of catching several hot fish on it....and the reel is spectacular. Top quality and tight tolerances

·
Registered
150 Posts
wrinkle to your dilemma

I will add another wrinkle to your dilemma. They are all fine reels. However if you are ever going to consider selling the reel, in the long run a classic (English made) Hardy will retain its value the best (outside the exception of some of the special US made bench reels. I mostly use click and pawl reels on everything except my salt water rods. If I were targeting kings, I would go to a drag.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have a Speyco Skagit on my Miz MKS 13'6 7/8 and it balances out perfect! I had a galvan years ago and got rid of it do to the drag free spooling and catching in cold wet conditions, not to friendly for winter steelhead conditions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey there...

I recently picked up a Meiser 13'6" 6/7/8. I use a Marquis 2 and a Speyco Scandi on it. The Speyco is a bit heavier I think but still works well. I like reels on the heavier end. Because the Meiser has a downlocking reel seat (at least mine does...), a super heavy reel isn't necessary.

My two cents...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
+1 on that.

I will add another wrinkle to your dilemma. They are all fine reels. However if you are ever going to consider selling the reel, in the long run a classic (English made) Hardy will retain its value the best (outside the exception of some of the special US made bench reels. I mostly use click and pawl reels on everything except my salt water rods. If I were targeting kings, I would go to a drag.
There's 'just something' about old Hardy's. Have two on my desk to line with silk lines, yes hand made silk fly lines, to go on Boo rods. I'm not even sure I want to cast them or just know I have them. New Dog, "Mz Turkey," and I will discuss. 'Sandy' and 'Husky' were very good with that kind of conversation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Options

Sounds like my Salmon 2 will be a great choice.

Anyone like their Galvans? Just curious as I might like one for a modern reel if I chase salmon.

DH

·
Registered
175 Posts
I mostly fish 12' and 13' 7/8 rods. I have numerous drag reels and a Speyco Skagit. I use this setup for kings and cohos to 30lbs and steelhead. Both types of reels work fine. I always carry a couple of reels with me to the water and tend to switch back and forth during the day. I never buy something with an eye towards resale value. Buy what you want, fish the heck out of it and someday if you get 50% back on a resale then the reel owes you nothing. I really like my Speyco reel but on days with lots of king hook ups (we have 20 fish days all the time) I normally start with the Speyco and switch to one of my drag reels after a few hours. Keeps the fingers from being worn down too much! :)
My current favorite drag reel is the STH Caribbean reel. Best drag I have ever used with tons of stopping power. It is an old school small arbor reel with some good weight to it. There is currently a 9/10 available on the "e" auction site. I have the 11/12.

Quinn

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Carfeful with Galvin on cold wet wintery days, had the drag freespool and catch many times. Sold it! Great reel for striper or blue water otherwise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts