Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to let everyone on board know about a new perfect style reel with an auxiliary brake being made by a very skilled reel maker. These will be hand made and finished to a very high standard I,m sure. Have had the maker John Mackenzie do repair work for me and was very pleased,just wanted to let everyone have a look at this reel incase anyone is interested in having one . I have no interest in this other than trying to put word out for a fine craftsman and all round good guy. His work is excellent for repairs, restorations as well .
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=66612&start=20
Hope its ok to post link. If not please delete. Thanks Daryl

·
Registered
200 Posts
absolutely love the design, curious to see what the price tag on one of those is..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a few pm,s about this reel also and Have asked John if it is ok to pass on his email address, another way to contact him would be to join Classicflyrodforum board and send him a PM. He lives in Europe so I won,t have an answer till tomorrow and get home from work about this time. As he said in post the first run will be for 12 reels . I will let John quote on price but think you will find them to be competitive with other hand made reels. Daryl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spey Reel

Daryl,

Thank you for posting this here, most appreciated.

This is my reel and I will be making four right hand wind and eight left hand wind units. The link to Clarks shows the development of the reel and how I ended up with the final design. I am new to Spey Pages and I trust I am not breaking any rules by posting this.

I will be selling the first batch at cost price to cover my time, materials and all of the other outgoings I have had.

So please pm me if there are any questions.

Kind regards - John Mackenzie

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
PM sent.....;)

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
love that innovative break design, plus the polished look hits the mark IMO

But if I may add a creative criticism have ya thought of having the break leaver on the back side of the reel for most fisherman palm break reels in that area, for palming in the front of the reel may jam a digit

·
Registered
127 Posts
love that innovative break design, plus the polished look hits the mark IMO

But if I may add a creative criticism have ya thought of having the break leaver on the back side of the reel for most fisherman palm break reels in that area, for palming in the front of the reel may jam a digit
I think that you are missing the point of this reel, if you are using the brake lever correctly there is no need to palm the reel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mackenzie Salmon Spey Reel

Gentlemen. Thank you all for your comments and please visit my posting on Clarks. There you will find most of the story about this reel and the time scale and effort it took to get it production ready. There are also a lot of comments and recommendations within that posting that cover the questions that had been asked there.

I think it is probably best not to replicate a post from Clarks to Spey Pages and trust that I am not overstepping the line by refering to the other web page.

And, most of all, a massive thank you to the people who have asked me to make a reel for them.

Kindest regards - John

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to say that I recently received my reel from John and it is a dandy of a reel. the proportions of it all seem to just fit together so well. I was worried that the brake lever would stand out but it doesn,t, the sound is different than either a Hardy ,Dingley or Young perfect. The width is a little more than a Dingley salmon reel of same size and the pieces fit together to a tighter tolerance than any of those 3 makers reels that I have to compare it with. I had hoped to use it on a rod that James Reid built for me a while back and pictures were taken on that rod but think it will be a little to lite for my taste on that rod.Balance is of coarse something we all have different opinions on. I wanted to let everyone know my thoughts on this reel since I started post here and share some pictures , not on a stream but infront of pond in my yard. Will have to wait for fall to give it a proper fishing trip to Skeena area.

The weight is in ounces. Thanks John for making this reel for me,I couldn,t be more pleased. Daryl

·
Registered
880 Posts
Very nice Daryl, I've contacted John over at the Clark's forum.
I think 13oz is about right, considering backing and a spey line will add at least another 3oz.
I used a 13oz reel on a 12' 8/9 SR last year and felt that it was perfect for weight and balance.
What model have you of James?
Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, I have a 12ft 4 inch Classic spey of James, 7/8 wt. I started with a 480 scandi on it but have now been using a 450 and like that better. I find rod balances best for me with a heavier reel,used a 4 inch and last outing went to a 4 1/4 Dingley and thought that was ok for balance too but each to his own. I will definitely be trying this reel on the rod. My 3 3/4 Dingley weighs 15 oz lined ,the 4 1/4 is 18 oz lined. I find a heavier reel is easier on me over a long day on water. Daryl

·
Registered
997 Posts
Daryl.

Great to see your new reel made it safe and sound. She is a beauty.
I have received the reel that John made for me as well and I fished her this morning on my 12' 8/9 and she does sing a sweet song. For me, on this rod the reel was a great fit. My reel weighs 17oz spooled with backing, running line and a 480 scandi FWIW.

Thankyou John!

James

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
James ,Thanks for the weight lined,that should be perfect or very near to it for my rod too. They do have a different sound don,t they,you can hear the second pawl like a back beat sort of and I think the brake handle will be easy to train a little finger to use. I really wanted to be using this reel on your rod so good news on the weight,made my day. Daryl

·
Registered
997 Posts
No worries D.
I hope that they make a very luck pair for you brother!
I only have a single pawl engaged on my reel, with the second pawl disengaged. Also with the brake I think that you will find that using your index or middle finger on your lower hand will work best as well as leave your other 2-3 finger to apply pressure to the back of the spool.

Look forward to seeing you again when we get the chance!

Cheers.
James

1 - 20 of 23 Posts