Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here. If you are active in other forums you may recognize my username. I am a die hard pinner but I have always wanted to entice a fish into hitting a fly on the swing on some of the big water I fish.

I joined today so I can respond to classified ads and pick up a decent starter combo. I can't wait to get my hands on one and start learning. In the mean time I thought I would introduce myself and say hello.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to the board bud. I too recently got bit by the 2 hander bug, fishing with bait just got too easy lol. Tons of Ontario guys on here and an awesome crowd to help out us newbies!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
'Welcome to the Dark Side Young Luke Skywalker.'

Guys looking at my garage walls: "How many of them do you have?"

Honest answer is I've long lost count .....

fae

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 4weight, I think all its going to take is one hard hit on the swing and the rest will be history.

fredaevans I currently have far too many float rods, maybe someday the same will be true of my spey rod collection...time will tell.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome. Geen is a great river to swing. Every year I see more and more spey guys in Ontario. Great to see.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Welcome aboard. I live about an hour south of you, so if you have any questions, send me a PM or email.

Cheers

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Welcome aboard Nado. Harcore pinners transition well into 2h swinging because years of feedback tell you where the fish sit. The numbers will go down a bit but the satisfaction level will go way up. Just drop the deep water buckets from your dance card and you'll be on your way.

Check out the Grand River Spey Clave first weekend in October to speed up your learning curve.

Interesting that the 'geen is your home water when there are wild steelhead spawning minutes from your door. Last weekend the Middle Grand chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada hosted a tree planting work day on a little Nith River trib a short drive from Waterloo that is turning into a smolt factory. We have more work days on tap this summer. PM me if you are interested. Larry

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. Your lucky to be in Ontario. You should be able to find lots of help with learning how to spey cast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome Bro

Well look at this..... did you get bored of "the leverager" :razz:
in case you forgot its harry, welcome to the dark side :saevilw:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcom to the good side!!! :) I live in Kitchener so if you ever need some help with your setup/casting or have any questions just shoot me a PM. I was the same pinning for years and years. Got my first fish on the swing 30min into using my spey rod for the first time in 2008 and I've been hooked ever since. Bet you I've used my pin maybe 4 times since then. Take it easy

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this THE Chase C???

Welcome aboard. I live about an hour south of you, so if you have any questions, send me a PM or email.

Cheers
Thanks, i'll try to remember when the time comes.

Welcome aboard Nado. Harcore pinners transition well into 2h swinging because years of feedback tell you where the fish sit. The numbers will go down a bit but the satisfaction level will go way up. Just drop the deep water buckets from your dance card and you'll be on your way.

Check out the Grand River Spey Clave first weekend in October to speed up your learning curve.

Interesting that the 'geen is your home water when there are wild steelhead spawning minutes from your door. Last weekend the Middle Grand chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada hosted a tree planting work day on a little Nith River trib a short drive from Waterloo that is turning into a smolt factory. We have more work days on tap this summer. PM me if you are interested. Larry
For me there is just nothing else like the Geen, the raw power of the river when the water is on the rise, the strong run of fish. Its where I caught my first steelhead and even though its nearly a two hour drive it will always be my home waters.

I'm a fan of the Grand too, purely for its raw power and size as well. But the waters where I live aren't the trout holding waters. Gotta go north for resis and south for steel.

might as well sell those pins. Mine sit on the shelf for the most part now! We'll get out one day dude.:smokin:
soon, very soon.

Well look at this..... did you get bored of "the leverager" :razz:
in case you forgot its harry, welcome to the dark side :saevilw:
Hey good to see ya, I don't think i'll ever get bored of the levereger. That rod has some serious balls, great build my friend.

Welcom to the good side!!! :) I live in Kitchener so if you ever need some help with your setup/casting or have any questions just shoot me a PM. I was the same pinning for years and years. Got my first fish on the swing 30min into using my spey rod for the first time in 2008 and I've been hooked ever since. Bet you I've used my pin maybe 4 times since then. Take it easy

Cheers

Craig
Boy I hope I can get my first one that fast. It will be a while until i'm out with the spey for steel but I may sneak out to the grand a few times this summmer to practice casting and target some warm water species.

I have a rod coming to me in the mail, 11' 6wt cabelas trad 2, okuma integrity reel with a spare spool, 3lines for it (rio switch chucker, rio scandi steelhead and a rio skagit). It's a start, cant wait to get it on the water.

·
Stuck on DT
44 Posts
Good Move

Welcome. Have you got a trunk set aside for all the tying stuff you might have to acquire to compliment the new two handed habit?:chuckle:
Have fun.

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
I to was a pinner .... back in the 80's. Not too many of us around then, mostly guys with 9' and 10' HMG's and Boron X rods bouncing the stones. We bastardized fly rod blanks, cut and fit sections together to get that slow progressive curve .... it was fun.
I still have a custom float rod in the closet with a custom machined 5" reel that my buddy and I built .... probably will never use it again.

Welcome to the brotherhood of swing :)
See you on the river ......

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts