Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking the board for a few days and made the jump on. Been river fishing for 20+ years now, mostly float fishing with a bit of small creek fly fishing too. Got myself a 9' 8wt last August and have been tying steelhead flies like no ones business! I live in Ontario and I'm slowly growing towards getting a spey rod. Great site here and hopefully I'll learn a bit from you guys! Take care

Phil

·
Registered
224 Posts
welcome! I just started fishing the doublehander last year and man it is a blast! Ontario has some pretty awesome water for swinging flies so dive right into it, its a hell of a lot more fun and challenging than slinging roe like everybody else does around here.:hihi:

·
Administrator
19,126 Posts
Welcome to the Speypages .... fellow Ontarioian :):)
There are a few of us on here. If your a tying fanatic, checkout the coolest tying section on the web, our very own "Hooks, Feathers and Floss"!!
Enjoy the journey !!

Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
I live in Ontario and I'm slowly growing towards getting a spey rod. Great site here and hopefully I'll learn a bit from you guys! Take care

Phil
Don't bother unless you're prepared for a serious addiction. Besides, you can't learn anything here as I've taught them everything I know and still they know nothing!!!!!! :chuckle:
Just kidding of course. Welcome aboard and be prepared for a great trip.

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Welcome Phil. Spey Pages is a great community and I'm sure you will learn a lot here. We all have.

We are blessed here in Ontario with broad rivers and wild fish that are perfect for the spey rod. The Ontario spey community is going strong, so don't forget to reach out to us too. The best way to do that is to attend the Grand River Spey Clave near Brantford on October 3-4,, 2015. The website will be updated soon to include content for the 2015, but this will give you an idea what went down in 2014 http://www.grandriverspey.ca/

Larry

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome welcome. You are likely to start a new journey that will take you on a very fun ride.

Looks like the spring weather is finally here in Ontario.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I know I'm getting myself into serious trouble looking at spey rods lol. And ya I've been seriously considering about attendng the Spey Clave in October just to see what it's about. I'm fortunate in having inlaws on Vancouver Island near qualicum beach whom I'm visiting this August with my new sh 8wt. Downfall of living in Oshawa is no good big water nearby to swing a spey, just means I've got some exploring to do!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Shwa eh?? lol

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
I grew up in northern Minnesota and always loved fishing in Ontario the best! We were not your favorite visitors I suppose.But dad always insisted we be humble and respectful when plying those lovely waters. Ontario water had such a different feeling compared to it's southern neighbor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
x2 on the Speyclave . I went to my first one last year and it was great . Awesome presenters and a good bunch of guys .

If your fishing the shwa near Thomas st or Midtown mall keep your eyes open near dark fyi .

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cold

I've seen quite the interesting characters down near Thomas st that's for sure lol. Some of my favorite dirty Shwa spots are down in that stretch. Sadly enough there's barely any room to toss my single hand rod with all the brush and goofs standing so close they can see what knot I used to tie my fly on with lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please tell me you don't work in Ajax???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry I thought you might have been someone I met last week .
I live in Oshawa as well .
Though very new I have a rod or two and if you want to try a couple before buying let me know . I spend as much time as I can on the upper Grand during the summer so a couple are trout sized sticks .

cheers

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the offer bud! Fergus and Elora is where I learned to fly fish! I've spent may a days chasing Browns through there during my high school days.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome, good to see more Ontarians on here getting into it - if you work downtown there is good 2 hand water just to the West a bit but you most likely know this :) see you on the water!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty sure I know which creek you're referring too. I've never fished it actually, just always stuck to my float fishing on the eastern tribs. I'm hoping that I'll get out and explore more now because I have the single hand rod. Seems like there may be a little bit more two hand water closer to Toronto than I thought!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts