Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I joined SpeyPages a couple of years ago but I was mostly just lurking and reviewing all of the incredible information available in this forum. I've been a flyfisherman since I was 14 or 15 years old. Fell in love with the idea from reading issues of Flyfisherman Magazine in the 70's and getting the Orvis catalogue every year and dreaming of the day when I could afford an Orvis cane rod. Graphite came along before that event unfolded and I never looked back.

I was introduced to Spey casting about 20 years ago when Jim Vincent's Windcutter line was supposedly making spey casting much easier. Unfortunately, I never found that line easy to cast and gave up in frustration (these were the days before the internet and Youtube videos). I actually stopped fishing altogether at that time, for various reasons and then, last year, I discovered the wonderful world of Skagit casting. Now this system truly did make it easier to cast a two handed rod in the Spey style.

I've truly been bitten by the Spey bug and now (right or wrong) own 8 Spey outfits (so far 馃槣 ) from an 11' 2/3 trout switch with a scandi short versitip to a 15' rig with a 60' Bridge Mainstem line not to mention 2 6wt, 2 7wt and another 9wt rig. I'm completely enamoured by the style and am happy just to be out casting, which I've done every week for 3 - 5 hours for the past year for a total of over 200 hours so far. I still get out to a river at least once a week just to practice for my 3 - 4 hours (longer in the summer). I fish as well, but things are slow right now so it's more casting practice than fishing. Good thing I love casting! Under the incredible tutelage of master caster Tim Arsenault I've also been introduced to the wonderful world of mid and long belly casting and am loving the challenge. I'm looking forward to many more years of Spey casting and fishing and all of the things that I have yet to learn about this sport.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for being so open and ready to help us newbies.

Cheers,

Frank

Premium Member
Frank, really good to have you as a member and great read about your journey down the spey road. Sounds like with all your casting practic you're well on your way. Feel free to contribute and chime in whenever and wherever you like. If you have any questions, plenty of help here! Rob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm enjoying every minute of this journey, including the hours I spend reading and interacting on the forum. What an incredible resource to have available! I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.