Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

For the past three seasons I have been working hands on with Graphite USA on a new series of two handed rods. GUSA has been doing engineering and roll-up... I and a cooperative of Pac NW regional anglers, lodges and guides have been directing design, and field testing of the series.

All of our new blanks will be rolled utilizing GUSA's helical ply lay-ups to maximize hoop strength, and minimize wall ovalization.

With this process our breakage ratio has been held to an absolute minimum...And they've been in some very tough enviornments over the past three seasons !

Graphite USA has over 40 years of experience within the composites industry, and I feel very fortunate to be able to work with these incredibly knowledgeable folks.

In fact we are all very proud of this entire series.

It has been a long road, and we have a very small shop...But we have a solid history of building quality rods !

My new two handed rods are best described as medium fast/fast recovery progressive tapers. Caster friendly, light weight and very durable. All two handed rods will come with two tips.

The blanks have classic progressive tapers that flex well into the lower third of the rod... With strong butt reserve, yet very sensitive tips...51/43/33 mil mod blends.

The new rods will include:

*med. fast progressive
** fast progressive

11'4" 4 pc for 5/6 wt. *
11'4" 4 pc for 6/7 wt. *
11'4' 4 pc for 8/9 wt. *

13' 4 pc for 7/8 wt. **
13' 4 pc for 8/9 wt. **
13' 4 pc for 9/10 wt. **
13' 4 pc for 11/12 wt. salt water overhead and Salmon...very fast

13'6" 4 pc for 7/8 wt. **
13'6" 4 pc for 8/9 **
13'6" 4 pc for 9/10 **

14'6" 4 pc for 9/10/11 **

Rods In development: field testing this Summer/Winter/Spring

Available Summer 2004.

14'6" 5 pc. for 8/9
14'6" 5 pc for 9/10
14'6" 5 pc for 10/11

17' 6 pc. for 9/10/11

Price sampling:

11'4" 4 pc for 5/6 wt ~ $475.00
13' 4 pc for 7/8 wt ~ $505.00
13'6" 4 pc for 8/9 wt ~ $555.00
14'6" 4 pc for 9/10/11 ~ $625.00

Nearly all of my rods are marketed "Direct Sales" : Non-retail... With most product sales generated via word of mouth. All rods will still be built on a custom basis to meet the anglers specific needs.

I fully realize, and respect the fact that no angler should be expected to purchase expensive sporting equipment on blind faith.

In lieu of this, all of these rods will be available upon request to the angler on a "Take Home and Try Out"...No obligation to buy basis.

Rods will be allocated on a first come first serve basis, and will be limited to field test rods on hand.

If interested...Please feel free to mail me to arrange for rod try-outs, or to discuss our rods.

Thanks......RBM

Bob Meiser
R.B. Meiser Fly Rods
Forum Sponsor
[email protected]
www.meiserflyrods.com

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
what about your old S2H~ rods?

Bob,

How would you compare the new rods to your S2H106 and S2H~Spey? Are they replacing the older models?

I'm interested in trying the 5/6 and 6/7 wts. I'm making plans to visit in October. Perhaps I can try them then.

-Sing

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ya Baby!

"Nearly all of my rods are marketed "Direct Sales" : Non-retail... With most product sales generated via word of mouth. All rods will still be built on a custom basis to meet the anglers specific needs."

This is one ofthe true beauties of Bob's rods; they are all 'simi-custom' built to the end user. We all have our 'casting styles,' arm lengths, hand size (mines small), etc., and etc.

Bob does a heck of a job, and his word 'is gold' from all my contacts with the gentleman. Try calling Sage and say: 'I'd like you to ship me a $600 rod (just picking a number here) as I'd like to 'try it out.' You can guess the response ......
fae

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sing,

The 11'4" 4 pc 5/6 and 6/7 blanks were actually the first of the speys that GUSA and I put together...Maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Around this same time, I had been using many of their stock blanks from the DH series for my salt water fly clients.

The DHs had proven to be so caster friendly and durable in the salt, that we decided to use similar GUSA helical lay-ups as the base for the switch rod series... The 106s.

The existing 106s will remain the same, but we will be adding a faster 3 pc. series.

The 13' and 13'6" 4 pc. rods now being offered are new blanks... All helicals, rolled by GUSA...My decision to do this.

Again, the major reason for doing so has been because of the inherent durability of the helical ply process. GUSA's been using this process since the 60s, in fact pioneered it.

Lot's of helicals showing up of late, including Scott, Able, Sage and T&T salt water rods....Very logical application.

Another big reason is that GUSA has always had a history of being friendly to meet the needs of the small designer/builder...Of which I certainly am!

Plus these are domestic blanks, an issue of importance to me.

So... It has been a win/win situation.

Not sure what GUSA's plans are for including these blanks into their own inventory, as they are primarily salt water market oriented. I assume that they will include them over time.

But...I do have all of these new blanks available to the rod builder.

Looking forward to seeing you again this fall Sing, Congrats on the recent addition !!!

RBM

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS...

Sing, failed to answer...

We will be keeping all of the 11'4" blanks as they are... They have proven to be popular niche rods for the smaller Nad rivers and Trouter/Bassers.

RBM

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Robert is that a 17 ft 9/10/11 six piece

Boy do I know a bunch of Guys who will love that Baby.

I know a couple of Airline Pilots who had to settle for 15ft 5 piece who will love these for that long belly line.
When can I get one?

:devil:

Aaron

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaron,

Lets talk about the rods when you come down fishing in Oct.

Been chatting with Jack Cook via gstrands (Gus) new site.

Moderators can I mention this non-profit site ?!

This evening I talked with the Rogue Fly Fisher VP and he thinks that a "woven fly" class would draw some real interest...Especially the articulated stones,woven caddis, and Iso May, wet swingers etc.

He mentioned a tying room at the Red Lion one evening...Nice set up...And for sure Ward patterns for our guys that destinate North, or fish South Coastal.

Perhaps a follow up to our recent spey casting clinic as well.

Lets see how this all falls into place.

Bottom line...Fishing for you guys will be fun...Bring skaters.

Best....Meiz

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what ferrels are used on the big boy,have searched the GUSA site in the past; don't they do custom colors aswell?? are these high pitch or matt finish,,,thanks:)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
pupafoo, Bob Meiser, Fred Evans

Pupafoo, I have one of Bob's new 5/6 10'6" switch rods.

It is a truly awesome rod with the Rio WC 5/6 floating line and one of Fred Evan's special leaders.

I fell in love with the rod before I got the WC 5/6 using my older 5 and 6 weight lines. It worked great with every line. Then, I got the Rio WC 5/6 and it became even more awesome.

On my recent trip to SW Oregon I took it to the lower Chetco for some Cut fun. I teemed the WC5/6 with one of Fred's leaders (which I need the formula for). This combination worked great for dry flies, intermediate flies and nymphs with a titanium bead.

The Cuts were out in seams 40 to 50+ feet. They were safe from most fly fishers with the wind roaring upstream. They were in easy range for this old Grampa. Later as the day approached noon and because of my taking them in the closer seams, they went up close to the far bank about 65' feet away. That is an easy Snake Roll with this combo.

The rod lets you feel a 10 to 14 inch cut, yet you can get them in fast to release them without killing them. It has done well with small mouth bass on the Russian and the pesky sucker fish on the Russian that fight harder than trout and the small mouth.

I thank Bob for coming out with this new rod, and Fred providing me with a sample of his special leader. It was a great 4-5 hours fishing on the lower Chetco.

As noted on the tape/wax part of the forum, I had movement of the ferrules with this rod on this trip. So I used Burts Bee Wax and that ended the movement. I have not had this problem with Bob's older rods, so if you get a new rod of Bob's you might want some of Burts Bee Wax to wax the male ferrule ends.

If Bob's new 5/6 10"6" switch rod is this good, one can only imagine how good his new Spey Rods are.

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
Bob's 10'6" 5/6 switch cf. new 11'4" 5/6

Sounded liked from Bob's description that the
"new" 11'4" 5/6 rod is actually an oldest spey rod
Bob had desinged which doesn't have the new
helical construction.

Acknowledging all the greatness of the 10'6" 5/6
switch rod, Bob, how would you compare the old
"new" 5/6 11'4"?
I'm interested in its extra 10 inches.

-Sing

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sing,

Sorry that the "new and old " is getting confusing.

But yes the 11'4" s are all helicals... Always have been, always will be.

If you wish, you can request the 5/6 11'4" hands-on and then you can be the judge as to whether it will meet your needs.

If you like it ...Good on ya, if you don't...Still good on ya.

No worries, I'm OK with either decision, same holds true for all of my rods.

I would like to note a sincere word of thanks to all of the folks that have posted words of confidence in regards to my rods on this Forum over the past year...Grampa Spey, Fred Evans, Sean, Aaron, Juro, and all others...I do appreciate it !

Wish I could put you all on the "Payroll" ...But as it turns out this in itself is an illusive term, as I am presently my only full time employee !

Bob Meiser

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hammer,

Hey ... Floated Touvele to Gold Ray today and did well...One 28"another 30". Both wild... Also a few smaller. Got some pictures.

Size 12 Gold ribbed hares ear~soft hackle Partridge. Spey sticking/swing.

Love the low flows ...Too skinny for the Boise jets.

Sure would like to take you up on the open invite to float the RR run some time.

All GUSA stock blanks can be ordered in matt clear, gloss clear, green, and burgandy. The Burgandy is awesome !

My series blanks are all gloss clear, but could be special ordered as painted....Would need lead time for that.

Ferrules are tip over butt, kevlar reinforced.

Meiz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts