Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to follow up on a post I made earlier about my search for a new custom rod. I have been a big fan of both Echo and Beulah rods and have owned several, but I have always been enamored by Meiser rods...partly because I have seen both Bob and Steve post and support this community through their responses to all things spey.

In late February, I made the trip to Southern Oregon to visit the shop and test drive a few rods. Bob was very gracious and offered to send some test rods up to spare me the 4 hour drive. I decided to make an adventure out of it. I met Bob and team at the shop. I was welcomed as an old friend and shown around. There were rods everywhere and it was awesome. I was shown the cork room, the epoxy room, and the thread tying bench. I told Bob I wanted a 7 weight that would throw 510-550 grain Skagits and wanted it to be 13'6". Bob laid out the MKS, S, and Highlander Classic for my review. I was told to take them to the Rogue for a couple hours to see what action met my style and to report back. Steve G hooked me up with a nice cigar to complement the day.

After 3 hours of testing, I found I loved all the rods with the MKS being very interesting in action, but ultimately the Classic won out. Back to the shop and Bob handed me a bucket of cork with instructions to design my grip. I was offered and accepted another cigar and some good Bourbon for the design phase. I also talked with Nick, the wrapper and designer and let him know I wanted something simple but elegant. He immediately showed me a mock up and it was beautiful. The team at Meiser is top notch. I know I am only one customer, but they went out of their way to show me their passion. Steve G hit it on the head when he said he enjoys talking to people that are as passionate about the sport as he and Bob are. Amazing hosts.

The next day, Bob and I hit the Rogue and while I came up dry, I watched Bob snake roll his way down the run with one good grab. It was just a great experience.

I received my 136678C two weeks ago with one of Steve's custom Skagits; it was exactly as I had hoped-- Beautiful, dignified, custom to me, a powerful authority. My first run with the rod brought a chrome late winter fish to hand. The fish took the fly early in the swing and it was off. The rod provided excellent feel, but with the power to work the fish nicely. The wild buck was ready to released, so no photo but I have the memory--it's the same run I caught my first steelhead in. The next trip I went one for two so this rod has some fish love.

In short, the experience was greater than I hoped for. I can't say Bob's rods are the best or better than others, but I am confident very few people can say they had the experience I had. And it is because of this experience I feel confident in saying Meiser rods are my BEST rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Photos

The feather inlay is 5 Hungarian partridge feathers because they are my favorite bird to hunt--Nick did a great job capturing my vision. This was my second fish with the new rod --early summer hatchery fish that made the Hardy scream. Great way to end the season.

DH

Attachments

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
Nice story and sweet looking stic.
Bob's rods RULE :cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
What a great real story,a few years ago I ordered 2 blank kits from Bob,planned a fishing trip to visit my cousin in Yreka, while picking up the kits, Bob was as I have heard a great host, talked some story, took my cousin`s single handed rod to find out what line it would take,all on a Sat when its his day off,but guys like BOB live to pass on his dream,and we are the lucky ones who are able to receive part of the dream. ( and yes his rods ROCK!!!!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Love my Highlander Classic 15-7/8/9 too

About a year and a half ago, I tried Evan Jenkins' Highlander and fell in love with the feel and ease of casting. Bob built a Water God personalised version that got baptised on the Clearwater last September. 4 wild "B" runs and 1 salmon in 5 days. Damn, that rod sure knows how to fish!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great stuff indeed . Beautiful stick .

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
Great write up of your experience!

I made a trip down to Oregon last November and expect I'll be back again. WHile there I went to the rod shop myself. Unfortunately on both visits Bob M. was not there but the rest of the guys were great. I could go on at length describing how they helped me to get the lines I needed for some rods but can get by saying I don't know anywhere or anyone that could have done what they did.

Ard

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ard, you nailed it. Truly one of the best experiences in my fishing life. I wish I had a notebook with me to record all the information I learned and have since forgotten:hihi:

Another rod is planned.

DH

Great write up of your experience!
I don't know anywhere or anyone that could have done what they did.

Ard

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I think true craftsmanship can only be achieved when there is a genuine passion about the work & a pride in the product.

Plainly that is the case here & your' recounting of the whole experience makes me rather envious as that is the way things should be done; after all we are passionate about our sport so it is only right to take the time & effort to get things right.

Obviously Bob still enjoys his work & that shows through in the way he conducts his buisiness & in the quality of the finished products, well done sir.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Poor Bob's head is gonna get so big that he will have to buy a convertible. But I'm afraid that I am as guilty as all. First rate rods, great experience, OUTSTANDING human being.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just recently bought a meiser, just got it shipped yesterday, can't wait for it too arrive. Straight up one of the best customer experiences I have every had, Steve and Bob both have been in contact with me through out the whole building process, I was a little hesitant with the description of the rod design he invoiced me for but when I saw the final product Kate sent me, it brought me close to tears it was that beautiful. I couldn't be any more happier. I hope you enjoy your new rod!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts