Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Marryat MR-9 since 1984 (I think) which has been a great reel, very light, large line capacity - 10 weight line + 250 yards of backing etc.. Thats a picture of it in my avatar.

They have now come out with a new model which looks enticing although I have not seen one in person.

Has any one seen one ?

Believe they are around $ 300.

http://www.marryat.com/larreels.html

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Marryat large arbor

The Marryat large arbor reels are raally cool looking, extreme porting and very light weight. There is a price to be paid for this though. They are very delicate. Do not drop or otherwise abuse.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never dropped the MR-9 or fell with it etc... Has a few little nicks but nothing really serious. I printed out the specs on the large arbor and I am not sure if it would be suitable as a spey reel like the MR-9 which has a huge line capacity, see prior post.

The m-3 model of the new large arbor will hold a WF9 + 125 yds backing not sure if that would be large enough for a spey line in 9/10 weight + at least a 100 yards of backing. Prefer a minimum of 150 to 200 yards.

I know none of my local fly shops carry these and I hate to take a risk buying blind.

Maybe they will let me try one since I am now an 18 year Marryat customer ?:chuckle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts