Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I had such great succes with the other question I'll have a go with another one.

I was thinking of trying a twohander instead of the singlehanded I'm using.

I read the reviews and treads on the Loop spey rods and how great they are.

Now I just discovered that they make a Blue Line 7116-4 which would be perfect for my local stream which is quite small.

Has anyone tried the new blue line Loop rods - would it be a good first twohander ? Seatrout up to 16 pounds and sinking tips are required.

Any comments ?

Also - if casts are around 70 feet which line would do best - Windcutter Spey og Midspey ?

Thanks
Tulle

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Tulle,

I will be casting a number of Loop rods this Saturday. If the 7116 is amongst them I will give you a report.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Tulle,

Disclaimer - I am not connected to Loop, except that I have access to casting (and fishing) their rods, along with alot of other brands through my fortunate association with Dana.

Yesterday 6 of us (including Doublespey and Dana) went out on the Fraser for a little mini-casting clave. Among the 17 or 18 rods there were a bunch of Dana's Loops. There were a number of the new Blue ones - they are very handsome rods.

While there were no 7wts, he did have a 12' 8wt. I spent a fair bit of time with it - very nice. I cast a Speydriver, which is an extreme long belly line. The little rod just rocked it out there - I was impressed. I do not doubt that it would handle tip work very well as it it has a fairly fast action - I liked it.

As for the 7wt version of the Blue line I am confident that it would meet your needs. I fish an old model Sage 7136 on the Bulkley/Skeena system (and even once in a while on the Thompson), while this is mostly dry line work I have handled many fish with it in the 15 - 18lb range with no problem. The Loop Blue 7wt will certainly be an adequate fighting tool for your seatrout if you choose to go that route. While I'm still in love with that old 7136 I could see myself with one of those Loops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Loop does not make a 12' 8 weight in the blue line. They make a 11'6" # 7/8 and a 12'4" # 8/9 so maybe it was the 12'4" you tried ?

I had a chance to "wiggle" the 11'6" and I wasnt impressed - it was wery soft and I couldnt feel any backbone, but based on what you are telling me I will give it another chance and actually cast it - only way to know for sure.
I wonder why there are still shops where you cant cast the rods ???

Again - thanks

best regards
Tulle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts