Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a status of the new Loop reels ? I am interested in LW which has a similar capacity to Danielsson 8-12.
I had recently played with Danielsson LW 8-12, FW 2-6 and HD 9-13 and was extremely impressed with the functionality, designed and reliability of these reels. Seems to me that Danielsson has the best reels on the market.
I was curious if the new Loop reels made in Asia can match Danielsson and if it is worth to wait for them.

Martin

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Sazan,

The latest report I heard was that the reels started coming into the distributor last week. I'm hopeful to see for myself early next week. Word has it they are worth the wait but only time will tell.

sinktip

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Salmo,

I thought it was about time for you to crawl out with one of your Loop bashing posts. :tsk_tsk:

sinktip

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
It was my first post on this subject in many weeks. I have just expressed my opinion based on experience with old Loop/Danielssn reels.
As far as Loop, I use and like very much Loop Grey Line rods like 13’, 9/10.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Danielsson

On my desk is a new Danielsson LW 8twelve. For $310, this reel is a steal. What Loop will have is a marketing plan, dealers, and a real distribution system and, I suspect, some very nice reels.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
salmo said:
Sazan why wait for new Loop if you can get the best ( Danielsson) for less.
An excellent question! And the only bashing I've observed on this topic now over the last six plus months is the shop crowd bashing Danielsson and those who support them in selling direct. If Loop manages to produce a good reel in Asia after having only a few months to design it, then good for them. If they can be competitively priced with Danielsson's direct prices, then terrific. But even if all that happens, it will not change the fact that Danielsson makes some truly top-quality fly reels and that are currently available at a shocking low price as compared to both their previous retail cost or that of other competitors.

Just as an example, I replaced a Lamson Litespeed with my 8Twelve for use on a lighter spey. I paid more for the Lamson at a shop than I paid for my Danielsson--in fact, I sold the Lamson on ebay for what I paid for the 8Twelve. And comparing the Litespeed to the Danielsson in terms of quality is like comparing a VW to a Porsche. That's not bashing, it's simply the truth. They are just not comparable reels in terms of quality. They just aren't.

I have purchased two Danielsson reels since February of this year--an 8Twelve and a 6Nine. Both are remarkably well made reels, and were a real value at the price I paid. My only hope is they don't change their pricing before I have a chance to get a couple more. There just isn’t, in my opinion, a reel on the market today that comes even close in terms of value. And let’s face it, you seldom get much of a value in terms of fly gear.

So, not to step on any toes intentionally, but the original question remains: why wait?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Fshbm—

I would like only to add that Danielssson reels have, IMHO, unmatched reliability. How many times my friends had to lubricate the cork in Abel with neatsfoot oil, or other reels with open cork disk were hydroplaning when wet. I may not matter with trout or steelhead, but large atlantics, kings or large salt-water game fish can run quite a long distance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
.............fshbm, salmo, I agree. Anyone can reproduce someone's original idea. Decide where you want to produce it, for how much, etc., and have at it. Someone else has already done the heavy lifting, now it is just a matter of marketing. The Danielsson design has been proven on the toughest fish that swim. Perhaps the new Loop reels will do the same, if they do, good for them. But in the mean time, I put my money on the proven Danielsson.

·
Banned
28 Posts
sinktip said:
Salmo,

I thought it was about time for you to crawl out with one of your Loop bashing posts. :tsk_tsk:

sinktip

Saying a particuliar brand is the best is not bashing. What the hell is up with bashing users??? Do you work for loop? "why wait for loop when you can buy the best now?" is not bashing loop. Your post was a million times worse than salmo's
1st) he didnt bash loop, he merely gave his opinion that danielson was the best
2) if he did bash loop (which he didnt), your bashing a actual human being is many times worse.
3) I hope one of the moderators gives you a stern scolding for being so rude to salmo

PS: do you work for loop or a loop dealer or have any affiliation with loop? Your post would indicate that you do, given its illogical bashing of a fellow person.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
The new LOOP reels are now shipping to retailers in the US and Canada. Interested folks will note design details that distinguish them from previous LOOP reels. While comparisons are inevitable, ultimately anglers will judge the new reels on their own merits. I'm looking forward to accidentally dropping them on the rocks, cringing as stones are thrown at them from transports at high speed on a late afternoon race to good water, and hooking lots of big steelhead with them. As those of you who read my reviews know, I expect my stuff to perform, and while I'm careful, I don't baby my gear. I should have a pretty good idea of how the new LOOPs deal with real world angling in a few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts