Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this will be my first outing with the new Loop and new to Spey. We are heading up to Medford this weekend and I am bringing along my Loop Blue. I hope to try it out on the Rogue somewhere. Been watching RIO's spey video, and schedules to get a lesson in two weeks. If anyone is going to be on the Rogue look for me!

Andre

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Good luck on both counts Andre (fishing, spey adventure). If you run into Fred Evans say hello!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know the Fred Evans was from the Medford area. Maybe he will see this post and reply. Sure would be nice to see a pro in action. I might even be able to pick up a few pointers from him. Fred you out there?

Andre

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I be here ... but Boo and Hiss ... we've got a house full of

company coming for the weekend. Joan would 'skin me alive' if I tried to hit the river. BUT!! if you've got a fax number shoot me a e mail at [email protected] and I'll fax you over a copy of my river maps.

Pretty well marked up on access points, I'll tell you where the fish are holding (or at least were as of a day or so ago).

Office # is 541 734 2714/541 944 0404 for cell phone.
fred

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome

We will hook up another time. Medford is only a 3 hour drive from Chico.

AD

Check your email.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gotcha! Will fax over river maps in a moment.

There are over 7,000 winter fish through the counter (just north of Medford already) and the water flow has been cut to 904 cfs. You can confirm water flow daily at 800 472 2434. Above Medford you'll be 'dry line' fishing in most of the runs. The faster water will take a 150'ish grain tip or a RIO/Airflo sinking leader to get you down/keep you down.

Bulk of the fish above Gold Rae dam are still holding below Shady Cove at this time. Ton of fish below Grants Pass in the Whitehorse Park area (across from/below the mouth of the Applegate river).

For simple, great spey water that's easy to get to/fish in the immediate Medford area, I'd recommend you fish lower Touvelle Park below the boat launch. Easy walk from the car ($3.00 day fee but the 'ticket' is good at all the river parks ... and the fine is $75.00 if you don't have it on your dash board!!!!). Major mix of water that's all easily fished with a spey rod. Signif. O. would only need a set of hiking boots to stay with you if she's not fishing. No 'bushwacking' needed to cover almost a mile of fish holding water.

Anyway, off to the fax machine!
fae

·
Registered
79 Posts
Totally second that location, Fred...

Park at the boat ramp lot, walk through the fence behind the signs and bench and follow the trail a bit until you see the river through the trees.

The whole narrow slot is a great place, I pulled out six or seven there this fall in that stretch. If you follow the bank around the bushes, it will widen again, another good spot where it does... Nicel little beach there to eat lunch...

If that doesn't take up all of your time, the riffle just upstream from the bridge is good, too, but I much prefer "lower" Touvelle. There are also some good holding ledges just past the bend on the upper side... a short but nice hike up the nature trail.

-Gus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts