Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats this, NEw Loomis towhand/speyrods next year? i whant to no more! Someone whit info?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Jacob,

Where did you hear that there is going to be new Loomis 2-hand rods for next year? This is the first I've heard of this.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Flytyer...

Where did you hear that there is going to be new Loomis 2-hand rods for next year? This is the first I've heard of this.

You must be out of the D Loop. :lildevl: :chuckle:

·
Registered
75 Posts
26 new models. Mostly just marketing I gather. But I did hear a juicy one that there might be a 4 piece GLX 2-hander in the lineup.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I believe that Steve Choate is involved somehow in design testing / advising. With that, I seriously doubt that marketing is the goal.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
You will see them all at the Denver show.
Can't wait :wink: :wink: :wink:
Speyladdie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Nice one MJC!

I haven't read Fly Fisherman for a lot of years because I don't like the go to this river, use these flies, book this guide, fish behind that rock kind of infomercial articles they have been publishing for at least 10 years. Since Jacob mentioned Fly Fisherman as his source and I don't read the magazine, I suppose I really am out of 'D' Loop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To loco_alto, But how does a company release 26 new models? Did they seriously redesign that many sticks? Doubt it, all the other rod companies combined didn't do that many this year. I have a feeling some are the same blank but with those cool looking real seats and changed comestics. Not knocking Loomis I own a few of their rods but I do see Shimano's hand in all this. Guess we'll see soon enuf'.

·
Registered
229 Posts
New G. Loomis 2-Handers

G. Loomis, Inc. manufactures a number of two-handed rods specifically for the Scandinavian market. These rods are a result of the combined efforts of Steve Rajeff, Head Rod Designer for G. Loomis, and Knut and Trond Syrstad, who at the time worked for Aktiv-Fritid (they now work for Loop Tackle). I'm guessing that some of the new G. Loomis 2-Handed offerings at the Denver Trade Show will reflect this prior relationship (i.e. think "underhand").

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I also heard about 24 or 26 new spey rods in their arsenal. Looks to be a very interesting year for new rods. :) :hihi: :) :)

I think I need to find a job! :eek:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Lambchop said:
To loco_alto, But how does a company release 26 new models? Did they seriously redesign that many sticks? Doubt it, all the other rod companies combined didn't do that many this year. I have a feeling some are the same blank but with those cool looking real seats and changed comestics. Not knocking Loomis I own a few of their rods but I do see Shimano's hand in all this. Guess we'll see soon enuf'.

26 is a lot of rods, and I don't know any details. I don't own any Loomis rods - I have never been a fan, honestly - but my preferences do overlap with sticks that Choate has used in the past so I guess I am curious to see what the truly new or tweaked ones will be like.

In any case I don't plan on buying 26 new spey rods anytime soon :Eyecrazy: , so I'm not too worried if most of them are repackaged. With another Burkie on the way, I probably won't be buying anytime soon anywho

·
Registered
141 Posts
26 two handed rods?

I've read that Loomis is retiring their single handed GLX line, and replacing it with the Crosscurrent GLX. This could be part of the 26 "new" rods.

·
Registered
131 Posts
New G.Loomis Rods

Hi
Yes it's true, G.Loomis has designed 24 new two handed rod's
I just returned from Washington, where along with Steve Choate, Chris Seipio, Neil Holding, Marlow Bumpus, and Steve Rajeff, We spent three days casting the new model's, and matching manufacturers lines (more on this later)
All I can say is "awesome", there are Skagit Rods, Scandinavian Rods, and Traditional Rods. This project has been in the works for quite some time, after many focus groups, hours of field testing, the rods will be unveiled at the Dealer Tackle Show in Denver. Neil and I just returned about an hour ago (left Washington at 6 this morning, up at 2:30am), but I couldn't wait to tell you guy's.
I have loads of info (and have permission to kiss and tell) so I'll do my best over the next while to fill you guy's in. I'm sure Steve Choate and Neil as well as Marlow will have lot's to say about this project.
Here is a little sneak preview there is a 7/8 15' and a 8/9 15' Traditional, a Skagit 8/9 that Marlow fell in love with . MORE TO COME !!!!!!!!

Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-Staff

·
Registered
239 Posts
It looks like the coming year will bring a bumper crop of new two-handers in the North American market... all very exciting.

The Loomis rods have been in the works for some time and the lineup is quite extensive...
Sage will be coming out with a new series of two-handers...
Scott will be introducing an entirely new series of two-handers as well, called the LS-2 series... I know a bit about this series:

The Scott LS-2 rods have represented an intensive 3 year effort, and are all completely new 4 piece designs, matte finish, incredibly light (the 16 footer weighs in at less than 10.5 oz!), yet powerful. The tapers and actions have been tweaked and tweaked and tweaked to cast long belly lines as well as short belly lines equally well. There will only be 5 rods in this lineup (12' 6, 13' 7, 14' 8, 15' 9, and 16' 10), and they will all retail for UNDER $600...

Gear-heads rejoice!

·
Registered
498 Posts
new rods

This and all Meisers new sticks.
Uh oh I better get me a job and a new credit card, one the wife never sees :roll:

Skilly

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Other good Loomis news

Loomis will also be sponsoring the Forum! We'll have a banner up shortly, at which time I'll give them a proper welcome, but it is great to have them on board!

When thinking about your up-coming tackle purchases, remember that Loomis and our other sponsors help make this all happen. Supporting them supports us which in turn comes right back around and supports you.

It's a beautiful thing.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
One of the tasks that kept me staring at the 'puter all weekend is constructing the new Loomis banner. (Yup I make the banners) Look for it soon; it directly links to the Loomis homepage of course.

[1](any graphical designers out there want to get involved with banner designs please PM me)[/1]

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's a serious commitment to Spey

I read this thread yesterday and was really surprised that Loomis is coming out with so many new Spey rods. I had to think about it overnight, but I still can't make sense of it today.

24 new Spey rods?? I mean that's what we might expect to see as new across *all* the rod makers in one year.

What's really going on here? Is there some market research that suggests the US market for spey fly fishing is expected to jump enormously in 2005? :confused:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts