Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....I'm looking to buy a new spey line for my 13' 8/9 Rainshadow rod. I've short listed the Rio Windcutter or the Rio Mid spey. Heard and read good things about both. I'm still fairly new to spey casting, but want a line that will preform with my ability as I improve. Any help, or suggestions as to other brands or line weights, will be appreciated.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Are you referring to the rainshadow rods that are made here in Washington? If you are, I didnt know that they made spey rods. Last time I looked - they were only producing blanks. Maybe a different rainshadow........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rainshadow

Jay...Yes, this is a Batson Rainshadow 13' 8/9 wt. 3 piece, that I built from a blank. It's a beautiful rod.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Wow

I have a friend who did the blanks at Rainshadow, and he never mentioned Spey Blanks either. I'll need to talk to him. I know they had some two piece float blanks (yeah, a 2 piece 13' rod lol). Hmmmmm, I'll have to ask if he knows if there is still a stash of them around somewhere (he still fishes with Kerry Batson, but job went bye bye when they closed the doors). By chance is it a new line of rods out? May be why my friend Chris had no idea on them. I'm going to be emailing him now for sure to see what he can find out.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Paul...

Have you already tried some spey lines on that rod? If you have what were they? If you haven't I would go to a local shop and get a Delta 8/9 or WC 8/9/10 demo line for some initial testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try this person..

Hi Paul,

Try contacting this guy: Andy Snedden, who sells rod building equipment and is an avid Spey fisherman. I have included a link to his website that will have contact information. I seem to remember discussing the Rainshadow Spey blank about a year ago with him and he praised it highly, (of course, he is also selling it...). A great guy to deal with and he should be able to help you out.

Hope this helps,

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts