Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Shewey's Classic Steelhead Flies

Got it today. At first glance, it looks great - wonderful photos, fly histories, recipes and tying tips. Looks like I'll being spending more time at the vise (my wife spells this vice, for obvious reasons).

Jim

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My wife preordered mine

Awesome, should be here anyday, just got his older version Steelhead flies for xmas and heavily inspired

·
Hacker
602 Posts
That book plus the Veverka book both showed up on my doorstep about 30 minutes ago. I have work to do, but..........

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds great. I pre-ordered one from Chapters, but still haven't seen my copy yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome, should be here anyday, just got his older version Steelhead flies for xmas and heavily inspired
I got his Spey and Dee middle of December and got Steelhead Flies for xmas as well, great books. The new one will be here tomorrow, thank you Amazon Prime!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The book arrived. It is everything I hoped it would be. Excellent history on every fly in the book, huge full page color photos, recipes in the back, and modern variations of many classic patterns.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Have Not Pulled away

for three days.. So well put togather, I am not sure what I enjoy the most, the photography or history of the flies

·
Registered
823 Posts
----off topic but..........is john still the source for the best quality and selection of schlappen these days? (out of touch with the latest materials trends here.)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Differences between the two books

Is this much different from his earlier book "Steelhead Flies"?
The older "Steelhead Flies" is THE bible for the construction of classic steelhead flies. I learned a great deal from the book and its application improved my tying. It goes into detail about materials, tools, etc.

The new book "Classic Steelhead Flies" lists in alphabetical order classic patterns and their histories, with glossy pictures of each fly. There is a small section at the end of the book that gives 3 tying lessons - a summary of some of the tips in his earlier book. This book is more about history and application than a "how to" on tying steelhead flies.

I hope this helps.

Mark

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Half way through it and love the book. This is how not only history is kept alive but also old flies find their way back to where they belong.

Big cheers for Sheweys!!

KC

·
Registered
557 Posts
----off topic but..........is john still the source for the best quality and selection of schlappen these days? (out of touch with the latest materials trends here.)
I have been struggling to get ahold of him as well. if anyone knows of how to get ahold of him please pm me.

thanks

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Outstanding book!

Each page (some two) is a different fly, excellent colour photos, history, etc.

Worth every penny.

Small edit here: Picture of each of the flies are HUGE! You want to tie one you know exactly what the 'end game' should look like.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Mine was delivered today!

Wonderful book, and one to retain on the permanent reference shelf when not being thumbed through ;)

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stunningly beautiful, historically important!

This book is truly stunning (my copy arrived yesterday and I can't put it down)!
As lovely as the photographs are, as well written as each fly's description, more important by far I believe, is the quality of historical research that is a part of each fly's writeup.

Angling "lore" is full of often repeated anecdotes that have become generally accepted not because they are true, but simply because they have been repeated over and over. John has not succumbed to this all too commmon, lazy, easy way of researching and writing angling books. He's done the hard work of separating fictitious tales that are repeated from factual material that often takes a great deal of effort to uncover.

That he's done this in the context of a stunningly beautiful and wonderfully readable book makes his accomplishment both a significant contribution to angling history and a genuine pleasure to both read and simply thumb through.

I must confess that discovering that the majority of flies in my steelhead boxes, many being flies that I either tied or acquired in the 70s and 80s, flies I always simply thought of as "my steelhead flies," are now considered "classic flies" is making me feel both grateful and a little old!

My personal steelhead Olympus now includes, alongside Haig-Brown, McMillan and Combs, John Shewey.

This is a wonderful book.
Thank you Mr. Shewey.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
book

I purchased it a couple weeks ago and it sits on the breakfast table and I go through a few pages each morning. What strikes me is that while there are so many incredible flies that are illustrated with photos and history that have caught fish for lots of people, I am drawn to some and not to others. And there in lies the comment by many that it's the fisherman not the fly.
Actually, with all the darned flies I have been tying and have in the box (BOX) I think I'll just tie up some Skunks and Skykomish Sunrises and call it good!
Those old standards.......
A very fine book.
Loren

1 - 20 of 24 Posts