Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had the pleasure of having Tyler and Sandi stay at my house this weekend (though I was so sick I could hardly move) we decided that Tyler really needed not a spey ghillie but a spey caddie since he just had to many rods and needed to get better use of them all.

This person will have to be able to carry 15-20 rods strung up and ready to go at all times. Will need to be able to judge run distance and be able to out the perfect rod for the run. Knowing suttle differences between a 13' 6" and a 13' 4" or a 14' vs 14' 4" is a must as every inch makes a difference. You have not to be affraid to walk right out into the middle of the run and take a rod from Tyler and hand him another to make sure that he stays in the zone especially if conditions like water level change within a 2 mms or if the wind shifts. You have to be able to where funny pants that only come down down to your knees. You hat will have be be appropriately goofy too. An ideal canidate should also have knowlege of bare knuckle boxing (queens rules of course) to ward off any unwanted riff raff that might be on Tyler's river. Knowledge of good cigars and fine single malts are also considered a given.

Apply on line.

JJ

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
JJ,

An interesting position you are advertising for. If I could be so bold as to modify it a bit though. No 15-20 rods allowed, to conform to PSCA standards, a person is limited 14 rods. And the knowledge of bare knuckle skills is not needed, Tyler will have to handle some things by himself. In a kinder and gentler way of course ;)

'tip

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wait just a minute! You can only carry 13 (correct?) golf clubs in your bag .. so why more 2-handers? :saeek:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Very astute Fred. Sadly, this was a compromise when the union sued the PSCA during the last lockout. The arbitrator ruled that an additional rod was allowable in exchange for the union agreeing to limit the number of allowable reels to 14 and to also limit spools to two per reel.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
jjohnson said:
Tip Don't forget the rulling that of those 14 reels that at least half of them have to be silent on out going drag as to not cause undo hearing loss for the caddies.
Blasphemy!!!

JJ you are the :saevilw: .

·
Registered
618 Posts
new job ad

I would like to apply for the job, only a couple of things putting me off, being a true Scot, when i were the kilt...no funny pants... in fact no pant.
As for the whiskey,i can get loads its everywhere,distilleries all around.
Thats the problem, im on the Spey, easier if you guys come over here.
Then you can fish the Spey and drink at a different distillery every day,
Sound like a plan...? :saevilw:
Gordon. (speyghillie)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
speyghillie,

Funny you should suggest that.... :smokin: Sandi and I were just talking about going to Scotland. We are off to Cape Cod this summer for a return go at the stripers, but after that our next big trip is Scotland!

I will file the job application away for future reference.

BTW - I don't really believe that JJ was sick while we were at his place - he just saw the immense quantity of graphite I was trying to get him to lug around and he bailed :eek:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Tip...

The last time I saw you guys if I remember right, JJ was along and was attacking a nice streak. If my recollection is right JJ was sized about right to pack around a great many spey rods and make it out to the middle of a decent sized flow. Also since no one seemed to be reporting any catches and he said he got two fish he is probably well versed in the subtle naunces of the sport. Maybe he should apply for the job himself. :lildevl:

·
Registered
618 Posts
River Spey

No prob Tyler,
The tip for all the whiskey you can drink is, come out at night with a torch, drill, some jerry cans and a bung,that way its free, if not you have to pay.
One of the old guys i used to work with, used to do this, and fill his bath, you had to go and scoop it out with a jug.
When you asked him if he wanted water in it, he always replied ..only if there's enough room.
God knows where he went for a bath, and he used to take his kids as look outs.
Now you get tours of them all, to sample all the whiskeys,some one else drives, so you can get into it proper.. :) :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Will the caddie be allowed to use a motorized spey cart, or will he have to walk in waders & boots everywhere?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
DLoop said:
Will the caddie be allowed to use a motorized spey cart, or will he have to walk in waders & boots everywhere?

I'm thinkin hand built wooden drifter with standing aft tower to hold rigged rods, caddy on the oars decked out in plus fours, tweed coat and cap with a dozen flies stuck in the cap so Kush can just pluck the fly of choice off the caddy's head. Of course an emergency bar-humidor must be tucked under the seat and the caddy must have the deameanor and accent of a fine English butler:

Very nice cast suh
my, quite the brute that fish is, suh,
If we leave now, suh, we'll make it back in time for coctails.

I nominate Hammer! :smokin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the position includes room and board along with some fishing time I'd be happy to move out to BC and lug rods around :D :D :D .

Gillie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts