Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that Hardy has a new reel, the Sirrus Allwater reel in spey sizes. Has anyone seen this reel? Any word on USA pricing?

- David

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Sirrus Allwater

The Hardy Sirrus Allwater is a very nice reel that looks similar to the old Ultralite...excellent Quality and will be very reliable...unfortunately all the Hardy reels have gone up in price for '07...I just picked up One of the Gem MK2 -11/12 Allwater at a 30% off price tag...look around to see if you can get One...
check out "hardybc.com" for accurate priceing
The Drag system on the Sirrus is a carbon drag system that needs no maintenance and can stop any Salmon or Steelhead we encounter very smoothly

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The Drag system on the Sirrus is a carbon drag system that needs no maintenance

1) The carbon fiber drag disk by itself doesn’t guarantee maintenance free performance, unless is fully sealed.

2) Are the Hardy Sirrus Allwater all moving parts and drag fully sealed?

For example a trace of oil or grease will dissolve carbon fiber disk.
Trace of dirt will also wear the disk. Actually open cork disk drag ( assuming the cork is oil a couple times a year) is more resistance to dirt and hydroplaning then open carbon fiber.

The bast way is to take peace of carbon fiber and make a few experiments with dirt, water and oil/grease.

Salmo

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
sealed

The Sirrus allwater has a sealed drag system...as does the Gem MK 2,Swift,...Angel ,Zane ...I was recently looking at the new enhanced drag system of the Zane Ti Reel and very impressed...needed for big fish in Salt Water.... these reel drags areMaintenance resistent!
I know of what you speak with Oil on a carbon disc drag...My Ross reels had a problem with that...

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I know of what you speak with Oil on a carbon disc drag...My Ross reels had a problem with that...

You must be talking about the Momentum, as it is the only reel, introduced recently, by Ross with open carbon fiber drag plate.

That is great that Hardy Reels have sealed drag system!!!
Finally manufactures are catching with others most reliable reels, specially for serious salt water job, like Charlton ( unfortunately discontinued) or Danielsson HD series.

Salmon

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Interesting this topic should come up today. Looking through the current (spring 2007) issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal and there's a Hardy advertisement (full page no less) for "Marksman - a stunning range of lightweight, spindle free reels and sniper accurate, easy loading, light line rods designed ... etc"

No clue yet what the heck the new reels are about, but most interesting photo (page 7).

From the Hardy usa site: "The unique spindle-less design greatly reduces the reel’s weight. A large central bearing reduces the reel’s weight. A large central bearing set into the cage of the spool provides the smoothest rotation. The reel is also heavily ventilated, bringing down the weight, but with no reduction in resilience."

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Marksman is a new trout reel. They're nice, I have had a chance to play with one; not nice enough to move me away from more traditional trout reels though.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hardy is one of our sponsors so the links are A-OK. The marksman is a pretty cool looking reel. I like the looks of the sirrus as well. Looks like it it will be over $600 based on the prices in the UK. Man the dollar sucks right now...

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Man the dollar sucks right now...

-sean
Now there's the understatement for the Month.:chuckle: Gather from a couple of UK based fly boards I post on that a LOT of Pound Sterling (aren't credit cards wonderful) is "flowing west across the Atlantic." Even if the guy on the other end gets tagged with their 'VAT' tax the price here vs. there can amount to a substantial savings.

Fred

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Now there's the understatement for the Month.:chuckle: Gather from a couple of UK based fly boards I post on that a LOT of Pound Sterling (aren't credit cards wonderful) is "flowing west across the Atlantic." Even if the guy on the other end gets tagged with their 'VAT' tax the price here vs. there can amount to a substantial savings.

Fred

Fished and hung out with a couple Brits that were staying on the island when I was in the Keys. Both of them left all their gear home. We stopped into Sandy Morrets place and they each bought 8, and 12wt GLX's with corresponding Tibors, lines, backing, leader material, everything. All on the VISA. :Eyecrazy:

I bought a spool of 8lb flouro and a Tarpon T-shirt. :eek:

I had my Angel 11/12 with me, they both said Hardy's were out of their range price wise at home.:confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Jamey,

I suspect your right on the pricing on the Hardy reels; from what I can gather the cost 'there' vs. buying 'here' and shipping back may be a 'push.' Because it's a British made product?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I suspect your right on the pricing on the Hardy reels; from what I can gather the cost 'there' vs. buying 'here' and shipping back may be a 'push.' Because it's a British made product?

Not many Hardy Dealers in the Keys.

17.5% VAT on a $700.00 reel is $122.50. I have gotten many reels from the UK, never paid over $20.00 shipping. Not to mention customs costs importing Loomis sticks and Tibor cranks across the Atlantic for retail sale in shops. There are many ways to avoid tariffs when shipping goods.

Dornblaser:

I believe they are $530.00 (retail). To my knowledge they replaced the Ultralight Disc LA. I just scored one for alot cheaper than that at the big online auction place (ULDLA).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts